Valve Tapping? Rattle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Valve Tapping? Rattle

Hey everyone It's brian again, I haven't been on in a while but I ran into another problem and I could use some advice again. I have a tapping lifter i can't seem to fix i pulled the valve cover and adjusted the lifter the tapping stoped for about a day then started tapping again. Now there is also a rattling sound when i push on the gas like an empty spray paint can. I know alittle about engines but not enough to fix this without some help. If anyone knows what it might be and or how to fix it please give your advice. I could use your help. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

Advertisement

Last edited by 74_Chevy; 12-21-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Well , the rattling sounds like detonation...

Too far advanced timing, poor fuel octane are prime causes..So check timing and boost fuel octane.

As for the Tapping lifter, It could be related..(piston/Valve part hit the valve face before passing through the engine caused by detonation) Or the Lifter may not be pumping up (or has a backward leak rate) flattening the lifter..

Another cause could be a stripped adjuster stud (head or bolt side) backing off after adjustment.

Set your timing, and re adjust the lifter, If the rattle goes away, and the tick comes back, check the stud, or the lifter itself.

Doc

Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 PM

74_Chevy,

One more thing it could be, if you have a lot of lift on your cam and heavy valve springs, the studs could be pulling out of the head.

Good Luck
Scholman
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:

ok thanks I'll try checking that. If the stud is stripped how do i replace it?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

74'
looking at the motor pic' in your gallery....definitely can be a stud pulling but hopefully a failing jam nut

if you have enough stud and space, buy 2 hardware store jam nuts, grind them so one is for adjust, second is for locking the first.....ticking comes back....stud is moving

no ticking....failing jam nuts.....buy correct lock nuts for all...one goes they all go shortly

merry xmas
Old 12-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:

Thanks, I asked my dad yesterday and he was saying the same thing maybe it was the nut or stud I can't check it today because the weather is bad here right now and i don't have a place indoors to do it but as soon as the weather permits I will try it.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:24 PM

74_Chevy,

If the stud is pulling out of the head then you will need to finish the job. I made a puller out of a 1 inch bolt that I drilled a hole into the center and then threaded it to 3/8X24 so it can be threaded onto the stud. I then use the threads of the 1 inch bolt that has a nut screwed all the way up to the head to remove the stud. By using a spacer that has a small hole at the bottom so it will rest on the cylinder head and the other end is drilled so the 1 inch bolt will fit into, I start turning the 1 inch nut, trying to take it off of the bolt. As it comes down it hits the spacer. I keep turning the nut and within a minute or so the stud is out and still threaded into the bolt.
You might be able to find an over size stud to put back in but I think I would find a "thread in" stud so this doesn't happen again.
If the stud is stripped you will still need to remove it. You can try using this puller idea but with the threads being stripped I do not think it will work. What I have done is cut the bad threads off and then weld some new threads onto the end of the stud. You need to be fairly good at welding or the stude will just break so if you are not up to the task take it to a shop and let them pull it out.

Have Fun
Scholman
Old 12-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:

Ok guys I adjusted the timing it was retarded too far after I set it the rattling went away but the tapping was still there. I adjusted the rod tapping it in alittle and retightened the lifter the tapping went away. I drove it for about 15 min and took it on the freeway so I could get the rpms up when i got home i notice that it was tapping but just barely. Do you think its starting to strip on the rod so it's backing off little by little or what? Should I put on a second nut as a stopper so it won't back off? Will that work? Thanks for the help on the other problem.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_Chevy
Ok guys I adjusted the timing it was retarded too far after I set it the rattling went away but the tapping was still there. I adjusted the rod tapping it in alittle and retightened the lifter the tapping went away. I drove it for about 15 min and took it on the freeway so I could get the rpms up when i got home i notice that it was tapping but just barely. Do you think its starting to strip on the rod so it's backing off little by little or what? Should I put on a second nut as a stopper so it won't back off? Will that work? Thanks for the help on the other problem.

Doc here,

Good deal on the timing...Detonation is Not a good thing on combustion Chambers!

The Rockers, If it keeps coming loose, you COULD try a second jamb nut with a Self locking seal on it, Or Select a DEEPER nut (like twice the depth) BUT most likely the strip is occurring at the head casting/thread rather than the rocker side..

Try it first..If it reoccurs..you know what side it's on...

Doc

Old 12-22-2005, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

74'

that's why I said use 2 nuts, so that you can jam them tight together against each other after using the first to adjust.....so the nut can't "walk" on the threads

no tap after a day or two.....nuts are bad, replace all and/or add correct lock nuts

tapping comes back.....stud is coming out of the head
Old 12-22-2005, 04:48 PM
boatbob2

try this

if you have a tapping noise,not a banging,drain your oil,add 4 qts oil, and 1 qt transmission oil(super hi detergent oil) to the oil pan. start and let idle. if its dirty lifters ,should clear up in 20 min. or so.after noise stops change oil and filter, i bought a corvair off a car lot that was noisy as heck, paid $50.00 for it. did the old trans fluid trick and drove it from florida to calif. sent it to okinawa( i was in the Army) drove it 4 more years and only replaced the ignition switch the engine was great.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:29 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

dont forget to check push rod, i had one wear down on me one time
Old 12-23-2005, 02:55 AM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:

ok guys i'm lost on some of the things you said. I understand the oil thing but where do i get the trans oil is it just gear oil i use or what, I think it just might be that not sure the tapping now is just barely you have to listen to really hear it it hasn't gotton worse and i've been driving the truck most of the day here and there. As for the others i'm not sure what to do sorry i sound like a newbee but some things i've done and some things i just not sure how to do it.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:03 PM
boatbob2

transmission oil

hi,i guess i should have said transmission fluid. go to any auto parts store and ask for trans fluid, they will know what you need. what the trans fluid does is clean all the junk offf the lifters and other engine parts. you can even put 2 qts in, ive done that and even drove the car. just dont let it overheat. all the trans fluid is,is super hi detergent motor oil
Old 12-24-2005, 02:09 AM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:

ok no problem I'll get some and try it. I was talking to my dad and he said the same thing. He's done it before so i'll get on it and let you guys know what happens. Thanks guys.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.