Valve trouble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Valve trouble

SO I was wanting to do a car cruise in my 79 this past weekend, when as i am driving home I realised that I lost a cylinder or two halfway to my initial destination. I still had 30 miles to go until I reached my parents house. I got out, checked the plug wires distributor, etc I did think that one wire was not on all the way. Problem was still there, but I drove on anyhow thinking that the plug was badly fouled. Get to their house and I begin checking all plugs. Everything seems ok. lower part of the distributor cap was not sitting right, but I adjusted that and fixed that problem. Engine still seeming to be missing bad, I mean incredibly underpowered. Drove to my buddies and decided to take off my valve covers to see if I flattened the cam. Everything was working ok.

Now I was stumped, I was driving across town heading up a hill when yes, I hear a tick tick tick. I got up the hill and tried to coast so i could make it back to my parents and get the car in the garage. NOW I REALISE THAT I WON'T MAKE THE CRUISE THE NEXT DAY. So today I again pulled the valve covers and well #1 has a valve just sitting there. Spring is in pieces.

The valve did not totally drop I can't get to work on the car until this Friday since I live 60 miles away. Was this the initial reason as to why my car was missing? Was the valve just not totally closing? Then it finally gave up? Just wanting some input, the way that this all started is bothering me. Especially since i was not rodding on the 351M.

HELP In a perfect world I can buy a new spring, valve, pushrod, retainer, rocker arm, and get it back on the road the same night. I will see once I get that head off. This engine is a 10 year old rebuild and has 25,000 HARD miles on it. The car does leak oil and was just at the add mark on the dipstick.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

As long as it didn`t damage the piston or the valve seat your okay. Examine the piston top very very closely for cracks, if it kissed it a few times sometimes it won`t leave a mark, you`ll only know it happened when the piston comes apart.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiedrick
SO I was wanting to do a car cruise in my 79 this past weekend, when as i am driving home I realised that I lost a cylinder or two halfway to my initial destination. I still had 30 miles to go until I reached my parents house. I got out, checked the plug wires distributor, etc I did think that one wire was not on all the way. Problem was still there, but I drove on anyhow thinking that the plug was badly fouled. Get to their house and I begin checking all plugs. Everything seems ok. lower part of the distributor cap was not sitting right, but I adjusted that and fixed that problem. Engine still seeming to be missing bad, I mean incredibly underpowered. Drove to my buddies and decided to take off my valve covers to see if I flattened the cam. Everything was working ok.

Now I was stumped, I was driving across town heading up a hill when yes, I hear a tick tick tick. I got up the hill and tried to coast so i could make it back to my parents and get the car in the garage. NOW I REALISE THAT I WON'T MAKE THE CRUISE THE NEXT DAY. So today I again pulled the valve covers and well #1 has a valve just sitting there. Spring is in pieces.

The valve did not totally drop I can't get to work on the car until this Friday since I live 60 miles away. Was this the initial reason as to why my car was missing? Was the valve just not totally closing? Then it finally gave up? Just wanting some input, the way that this all started is bothering me. Especially since i was not rodding on the 351M.

HELP In a perfect world I can buy a new spring, valve, pushrod, retainer, rocker arm, and get it back on the road the same night. I will see once I get that head off. This engine is a 10 year old rebuild and has 25,000 HARD miles on it. The car does leak oil and was just at the add mark on the dipstick.
If the valve in #1 with the broken spring is the Exhaust valve, I would suspect a lean condition causing the valve to stick in the valve guide. 22'000 miles over 10 years indicates that you don't drive this truck a lot. Could be the springs just got weak over time from sitting. I had a similar problem with a 75 F150 4X4 with a 360. I pulled the head and found the exhaust valve had stuck in the guide. I fixed it, but when I test drove it was down on power. I found crack's in the fuel hose coming from the tank. I replaced all of the fuel hoses and it's run great since. This truck hardly ever get's driven, so I start it up every 2 weeks, and let it run for 10 minutes. I built this one up to pull our boat. Since I opened my own repair shop, I've had little time to go fishing, so it just sit's.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Does the fact that it was an intake valve matter at all? Seems the spring is what gave up on life.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiedrick
Does the fact that it was an intake valve matter at all? Seems the spring is what gave up on life.
If it was an Intake, that tells me you have some rotten fuel in the tank, from the truck sitting too long between re-fueling. When the quality of the fuel get's diminished enough, it is causes "varnishing" between the valve's and valve guides. Most commonly that effects the Intake valve. That is visible by a gummy substance on the intake valve stem when you dissamble the head. If that is the case, and the valve, or push rod, are not bent, it will be a less expensive repair.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

P.S. If the valve or push rod are bent, definetly follow Doulbevision's advice.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Not sure what you mean? Just examine the piston closely, and proceed with the repair if the piston seems ok? The car is on its 7th tank of fuel for the year also. It only gets driven in the summer months for the most part.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

If the piston looked good, I would go ahead with the repair. Did you have a bent valve, or push rod? Waht did the valve stem look like when you took the valve out?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:05 PM

I will fill you in on the whole thing on Friday once I hopefully get it all done. Hope it all works out so I can drive it back to my house!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 PM
jack of all trades

Last photo:

years ago, i had a 79 t-bird diamond jubily(sp?). it was a nice car. it had a 351m400 in it. it drove, but i was told it had a bad engine in it. it ended up droping a valve. so i rebuilt the engine, all new everything. about 6 months after the rebuild, it started running the same way as when i bought it. i asked around, and was told to look for broken valve springs. sure enough, i had 1 that was broken. so, WITHOUT pulling the intake manifold, i pulled the head. the machine shop told me i didn't need to pull the head. so, i put the head back on, only took about 20 mins. and got her running fine. about 3 months later, the same thing.
this time i bought a spring compressor(that i still have). took about 20 mins to change the spring. the machine shop told me these engines were known for breaking valve springs. 2 other springs before i sold it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.