Hot Rod Forum banner

valves and springs

948 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  raceman14 
#1 ·
hi. need your advice on what is needed to assemble a bare set of heads i bought a new set unassembled because i was told they use alot of junk parts when buying assembled. there for my 383 stroker will i need stock valves or longer and whats the best parts to use thanks

#4 ·
yardman said:
hi. need your advice on what is needed to assemble a bare set of heads i bought a new set unassembled because i was told they use alot of junk parts when buying assembled. there for my 383 stroker will i need stock valves or longer and whats the best parts to use thanks
Did you resolve the dowel pin misalignment?

Those heads will take most any diameter valve spring, and the guide boss is short enough to accommodate most any lift that a street/strip engine would ever need. Both good things.

Now, some heads use +0.100" valves as a matter of routine- so you need to see if these heads are that type or if the "standard" valve length used w/these heads is the stock length. But that said, the length of the valve can also depend on what valve spring installed height you plan to use, and THAT depends on the camshaft you intend to use.

So if you can supply us w/that info (type of cam, cam specs, what heads these are, the RPM range this engine will see, whether it's primarily a race or street engine, etc.), we can go from there.

#5 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with those heads. I've sold several sets. Too many guys with a hard on for anything Procomp. Because they "heard of a problem".. Procomp had, in the past, some quality problems with some smaller parts. Hard to live down.. The parts I see for the last three years are great and a lot is the same as the "name brand" stuff. In a Procomp package... The China haters will always bad mouth.. If they only knew where the "name brand" stuff actually came from.. I buy a lot of different valve train items that are all identical. Just in a fancy box and a 30-50 percent price hike..

These heads are great for the money heads.. Yes, they take +.100" long valves. The rest is up to you

No I'm not a Procomp sales rep...

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pro Comp heads

I have to agree with Bob. I have used 3 sets of them and they made great power and the quality was on par with heads costing 3 to 4 times as much. My last engine made 565hp at 7200. I sell *****************

Aa far as the pins go how far off are they. Mine were tight you can bump them up a couple thou to get them to fit.

Oh yea valves and length will bw determined by the spring pressure you need. You need to get a measurement with a stock valve and retainer as a baseline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.