Valvetrain interference? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Valvetrain interference?

I am in the process of doing a cam swap on my 454. I am going from a comp 268 with 485 lift to a xtreme 274/286 with 552 and 555 lift. Rockers are being upgraded from stock to comp magnum roller tips with 1.72 ratio. Heads are GM 781 ovals. Valve Springs are going to be comp 924-16. What valve seal do you guys recommend and will I have clearance between the seal and the valve guide? I am doing this swap with the heads on the vehicle, unless they have to come off for guide machining, which I would like to avoid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

You should have plenty of clearance (you do mean between the top of the guide and the retainer...?) As for a seal my machinest uses the ones that come in the Felpro sets...? Also you do have the rotator eliminators already I assume...? (under the exhaust springs) Also that is alot of lift as I understand for a roller tip rocker...? I too was going to use that same rocker but went with SS full roller rockers... That cam has some nice spec`s but what compression are you running with the open chamber heads...?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:04 PM

THe block has been decked .010, the heads have been milled .030, the pistons are flat top which makes my compression ????????? probably low. From what I read about this cam, it fills the cylinders very quickly and compensates for a lower compression ratio. Do you buy it or is the compression going to be too low to use this cam? I haven't swapped the springs yet and the valve rotators are still under the exhaust valve, Who makes this rotator eliminator and why do I need to use it?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

If I`m not mistaken with the high lift of the cam and the type of springs your using the factory rotators will cause problems...? Might ask one of our machinest guys on here (Bob...?@aol.com) Also the cheapest place I have found so far is on fleabay for the rotator eliminators... The ones they sell are good for anything other than roller springs which require chrome moly type because of the excessive spring pressures and movements...

Your compression should be around 8.5-9.0 to 1 which seems a little low but the big guts of 454 cui and the oval port heads should make good low end anyhow...?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the advice, what I should do is tear it down and up the compression like I should have in the first place, but now I'm married with children and the budget is limited. The bottom end has to stay this way until I win the lottery or something breaks. I wonder which will happen first? Looks like I have some more homework to do on the rotator eliminator subject.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Nah... Think you would be ok even with the compression issue...? What type of car is this and what gear...? That will make a diff as well... Also the sound will be very nice... You might also consider contacting Compcams and tell them what you have and possibly adjust the cam (advance or retard) to help with the setup...?

I know what you mean "married with children" so we do what we can when we can... I planned and accumlated for my BBC project for almost a year before it made it in my truck...
Old 05-29-2005, 09:23 PM

The car is a 69 malibu that I have owned for 16 years. It was a 307 powerglide with a 3.08 peg-leg. Seafoam green inside and out. I literally bought it from an old lady who wanted Air conditioning and a radio. It is now a .030 454, Edelbrock performer, edel 750, accel hei, 1 7/8 headers into 3 inch pipes, a hurst pro matic 2 shifted reverse pattern manual valve-body 400 with a 3000 stall and a 4.11 gear. Just had it painted red and have redone the interior in black. Its slowly getting to where I want it. I throw money at it when I can. It ran plenty strong with the 268 but the quest for more power always prevails........

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.