valvoline max life atf - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 09:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

valvoline max life atf

is valvoline max life atf good atf? and would it be a good choice to run a freshly re-built chrysler A-518 transmission?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 07:04 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

its good fluid modil 1 is expensive but very good i use castrol on older units mobil on late model overdrives the max life is equivillant to the castrol id say
Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc360
is valvoline max life atf good atf? and would it be a good choice to run a freshly re-built chrysler A-518 transmission?
i put it in my 4runner power steering, because it was noisy (dex II)
and it is quieter now
for whatever that is worth
Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 PM

i'm more interested in how it would perform compared to atf+4? the transmission i have is a chrysler A-518 in a 1991 half ton four wheel dodge truck, i have a 320hp and 385 ft lbs of torque 360 magnum crate engine in the truck and i am looking for a fluid that will protect good handle heat good and still provide firmer shifts, im sorry but the +4 is just way too slippery in my transmission, i forgot to mention it has a non lock up converter and the +4 just brought to slippery of shifts almost felt like it was slipping....
I have been wanting to run type f and have been trying to learn about type f and find out weather or not type f would work well in the overdrive torqueflights? i know type f works extremely well in the 727s but i have not heard of to many people trying it in the A-518s. anyways someone brought up max life atf too me and told me its the best atf in there opinion and that thats what they'd run it if they were me. trying to devide between reg dexronIII max life atf, or type f. what one would you guys go with? oh and ps i plan on having a shift kit installed soon, and there are other mods, the guy who re-built my A-518 about 500 miles ago told me they did some modfications to the valvle body and this and that to get it shifting better.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM

so what should i run besides +4 for good shift quality
Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

mobil or ams oil is the best on the market and castrl is a cheaper alterative
yours not being a lock up i dont see why u couldnt use type f though a non lock 518 is rare ive only seen one actually forgot about it till u saidd yours wasnt is yours factory of been converted to non lu
Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 PM

It's a factory non lock up transmission, i asked for a lock up converter when they were re-buiulding it and the owner of the transmission shop called me and sai we can't get you a lock up converter for your truck, he said if it was a 92 or 93 we could. it's got the 2 pin connecter wich everyone says thats the easiest way to tell if its a non lock up.
I want to run type f, but the owner of the transmission shop said not to, but he also said no to running synthetic atf's as well, wich i dont know why?
Is it possible that he could have re-built the transmission using different or special internal parts that dont work well with a synthetic atf? I dont know why he advised me against synthetics... he didnt really explain why i just asked if i could run dexVI instead of dexIII and he said oh no thats a synthetic, like a synthetic atf was a bad thing, thats the way he made it sound, so i asked about +4 and he said i could run it if i wanted too, but he said i wouldnt cause it has alot of friction modifyers that a non lock up doesn't need. so i asked what can i run then? and he said dexIII or +3. cant find +3 anymore, so if i followed his reccomendation i'd be running dexIII.
I was looking at the max life atf and i'd really like to try it, but its a synthetic as well. so i just don't know? is there a particular reason not to run a synthetic atf like max life or dexVi?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Is there any reason that type f atf would make the A-518 perform any different then how type f makes the A-727 perform? i know from expierence that type f works well in the A-727. and the only differences between the two transmissions that i can se is that obviously the A-518 has the overdrive unit attatched to the back of it and the valvle bodys are set up a little different, but other then that they use virtually the same internal parts, so i dont see why type f would make the A-518 perform any different then it makes the 727s. type f is the fluid that i'd like to run but people just dont seem to think you can run it, and some people say you cant and shouldnt run in it the 727s, but i know for a fact that type f is the best atf to run in the 727s, so why would it be any different with the A-518? specially a non lock up A-518, i could see it being a bad idea if it was a lock up copnverter because type f wouldnt get along with the clutch in the converter, but since its a non lock up i dont see why a person couldnt run type f and i dont see why it would perform any different in a A-518 then it does in the 727s.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM

fwiw, alot of bigger shops stock only max life. were takin 55 gallon drum stocking. i`m a senior tech and own a shop and I`m in touch with other shop owners reguarly and i can tell you your unlikely to go wrong with it . that stuff is compatable with everything.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 PM

ya, i have heard good things about the max life atf, only thing that makes me question myself getting it is my builder saying stay away from synthetics.... i want to run type f tho, type f is what i'd like to run and i'm trying to learn more about it.... i know it works very well in the A-727s, my old man had an A-727 in his 1970 plymouth cuda with a 440-6 pak, and he had a b&m shift kit in that transmission and had the line pressure turned up a little bit, i think he had a manual valvle body in it, cause you could pull it down from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st at virtually any speed and it did not hurt it and when they thing shifted it would tear your head off and he ran type f in it. that A-727 of his in that cuda is the best shifting automatic i have ever driven, that thing shifts and shifts right now, no lapping no slipping what so ever, it has amazing throttle response and is a very grabby transmission, he sold that cuda but i know the guy who has it now and he has never had any problems with the transmission, he told me he has not even been inside the pan since buying the car a few years back but he also has not put alot of miles on it since buying it ether, just drove it in the parade and car show and cruises around in it a few times in the summer, other then that its in the garage.
I just dont see why type f would make the A-518 perform any different then the 727, its pretty much the same transmission but with an overdrive.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.