Vans are back! What happens next? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Those twin I beam vans came off the assemble line set to carry a 1/2 ton. When I was kid I worked at Frey The Wheelman as a aliment mechanic.They had the contact for the phone company vans and of course those vans didn't carry 1/2 all the time.In fact almost never. So the way to correct that was to bent the I beams into the correct aliment using a beam/hooks and air over hydrolic(sp??) bottle jacks. .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 PM

we had 3 dream machine vans for the filming of ScoobyDoo.all right hand drive from Australia
Old 01-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
we had 3 dream machine vans for the filming of ScoobyDoo.all right hand drive from Australia
It was funny cause we actually watched the A team tonight and i thought it was so cool to see the AC unit fall on the van. Then showed the wife your pic of that scene, pretty neat.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM

That A/C unit had 2 1 ton bricks inside of it.
I dug the hole where the camera sat for the P.O.V. of the van. That particular camera survived,though 1 camera did get run over by an army truck.
That hospital in Kamloops also had a rattle snake nest close to where the van was crushed.
The dirt road in front of the hospital,I built. I was there more than 2 months,for about a minute of screen time,lol....
Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
That's great advice, thanks! Will the open exhaust kill low end or just sound silly?
Dave
Back in high school, a guy had a 300 six ford truck with true duals with glass packs. We all called it ''the airplane''. Sounded just like one when it reved up.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1320 View Post
Back in high school, a guy had a 300 six ford truck with true duals with glass packs. We all called it ''the airplane''. Sounded just like one when it reved up.
I just you tubed one with a cherry bomb, yep...sounds like an old single prop plane starting....pretty funny.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Vans are back! What happens next?
Dave
V-8 Vega's? Air Shock's? N-50's and Cragar S/S? FM Converters? Fog Lights? Moroso traction bars?

Cool thread Dave.

Brings back a lot of good memories, being a child of the '70's.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

I like the 300-6 , very great engine. I went to school with a guy that had a seriously built one, he beat most v-8's. It did sound like an airplane when he got on it, you always knew what he was up to.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

When I was a kid we had one of those 6's in a tow truck at the place I worked.A torque monster for a 6 and you couldn't kill it.A very good engine.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

So, I blindly went for it, sent my buddy and his tow truck out with cash in hand to pick up the van. I had seen exactly 5 pictures of it, and only talked over email with the owner. And even that had a french/english language barrier lol. So tosay I "gambled" is a huge understatement.Slam dunk...! It showed up, the undercarriage and rockers back up the "never seen snow" claim. With a boost it fired right up, ran quiet and smoke free. Paint is very very presentable and where it isn't is minor surface stuff and easily fixable. Wheels are actually in much better shape then i thought, and the rears look to be a 15 by 10!, perfect for a 275/60! Has rear window louvers that are mint, a *****in hard covered spare hanging off the rear door. Has new front tires, white lettered cooper's ....Then the interior! Diamond pleated blue vinyl everywhere, done very well, perfect wood paneling on the walls, still clean and intact. The absolute best blue FUR headliner....complete with a multi colored stained glass light fixture in place of the rear dome light. Needs some stuff put back together inside, but fairly minor. It had a TV etc and other lights at some point so there are multitude of switches etc that need to be removed. The headlight switch panel is hanging so I'm sure there's something wrong there as well. But on the whole, the thing is cool as hell and for very little money I can get this thing looking incredible and on the road....going to see how cool I can make it for as little money as possible.....started with $1500.00 buy in and $50 for the tow.....gonna head out to my buddies yard where we stuck it for now and grab some pics on Saterday
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 AM

when you want it crushed our crew has the experience?
jk.I hope you have a drive in to take the wife out?
Our last drive in is gone now....
Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Head like a Deathstar

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Vans are back...What happens next ...Star Wars movies come out, and are really popular . Like ,crowds lined for blocks to see these movies all over America.

Today a multiplex is all but empty. .Even if they claim the movie is a hit, making 100's of millions. Where are the people buying these record sales' tickets?

V, I work for Honda. Get this.

An online competition will help with the $225,000 to $250,000 per, they figure it will cost to switch /repair drive in screens. The American Honda Motor Co. is compiling online votes for the nation's favorite drive-ins and is going to pay the digital conversion costs for the top five vote-getters.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Head like a Deathstar

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
The van has speakers but no deck currently, luckily I kept the 8 track that I pulled out of my meteor....so that would go in for sure....and a CB.....I need a CB.....
I got a bunch of old ones. You really want one, PM me. Free/except shipping. I put them up at my garage sale for 5 bucks ea. No takers. I don't think kids knew what they were.

pic..they work. need antenna, but you can splice into the vans radios' .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	575768.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	111938  

Last edited by spinn; 01-09-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
when you want it crushed our crew has the experience?
jk.I hope you have a drive in to take the wife out?
Our last drive in is gone now....
We do actually, we have one that's about 20min and a short ferry ride over to the dark side (Quebec) and its really nice, I go a couple times a summer. Then I have one about 1.5 hours away in Pembroke, and its owned by a 80yr old gear head with a bunch of very cool hot rods. Him and his buddies run it and there are always lots of cool cars and 50's music during intermission.....
Old 01-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
I got a bunch of old ones. You really want one, PM me. Free/except shipping. I put them up at my garage sale for 5 bucks ea. No takers. I don't think kids knew what they were.

pic..they work. need antenna, but you can splice into the vans radios' .
That's awesome, thanks Spinn! I fortunately grew up with a dad and uncle who are old street rod guys and have always had cb's in the cars for road trips to rod runs. When they finally switched over to cell phones......(only about 10 years ago lol) they shelved the cb's so I will scoop one of them.....pretty excited.
Thanks again.

Dave

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.