Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Vapor coming fro mthe breather and oil cap but not oil....????? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/vapor-coming-fro-mthe-breather-oil-cap-but-not-oil-119330.html)

76 elco 07-03-2007 01:54 PM

Vapor coming fro mthe breather and oil cap but not oil....?????

Ok so i have a vapor coming out of my breather and my oil fill cap but it's not oil cause it doesn't smel like oil and it is kinda like steam. It's a small block chevy 383 and it runs real strong doesn't get hot and has good oil preasure what could it be and how do i fix it or does it need to be fixed?????? :confused:

Jmark 07-03-2007 02:28 PM

Do you have a PCV valve properly installed in one valve cover? If not, you NEED one. It's most likely a small amount of blow by which is normal. (if there is NO pcv valve)

It's also possible it's steam!! (ouch! not good)

Pull the drain plug on the pan a little and see if any water or antifreeze drips out. If it does, you got problems.

Mark

76 elco 07-03-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmark
Do you have a PCV valve properly installed in one valve cover? If not, you NEED one. It's most likely a small amount of blow by which is normal. (if there is NO pcv valve)

It's also possible it's steam!! (ouch! not good)

Pull the drain plug on the pan a little and see if any water or antifreeze drips out. If it does, you got problems.

Mark

Ya but it doesn't heat up so it's not the head gasket right????? So maybe the intake manifold gaskets????

31choptop 07-03-2007 05:44 PM

it wouldnt necessarily have to heat up or overheat to be a head gasket. it could be either pcv plugged or inop. or water vapor from :eek: ????. check the coolant level!

GCD1962 07-03-2007 06:15 PM

Don't worry, it's probably just normal condensation in the oil pan that is being heated when the car is running and it's venting out the breather

docvette 07-03-2007 07:24 PM

Doc here, :pimp:

ANY running engine will produce some amount of blow~By..I think that is what you are seeing.

IF you don't have a PCV , Install one AND a vented breather cap..It will keep the Engine / Engine Bay cleaner, as well as the undercarriage, and garage floor..the oil will stay cleaner longer.

IF you do have a PCV, inspect it..(Rattle Check it) Then shoot a bunch of carb cleaner through it Be sure it's the right Valve for your Application also.

If it continues , or starts slinging oil, check your valve covers for Baffles, if none, install them.

If it's a FRESH engine the blow~By will settle down over time.

Doc :pimp:

Have a HAPPY and SAFE
4 TH Of July!

glen242 07-05-2007 09:30 PM

76 elco never answered the question on if he had a PCV valve and system installed properly. My guess is NO.

76 elco 07-06-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glen242
76 elco never answered the question on if he had a PCV valve and system installed properly. My guess is NO.

sorry......ya i don't have one on the motor

Jmark 07-06-2007 04:35 PM

You need one! LOL There should be a 3/8" pipe on the front of the carb just for that. PCV in one cover, vent hose going to the aircleaner in the other.

Mark