Vapor Lock? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Vapor Lock?

Been having issues for the past year but never bothered fixing it , didnt bother the performance of the car...

i have a 305 edel intake, carb 1406, fuel pump, with all edel braided lines from the pump to the carb.

When i start the car in the morning (summer) i dont even need to give it gas i just need to crank it for 1 sec and it starts... idles fine, respond fine

After i've driven it a few miles if i turn it off and start it within 10-15min i only need to crank 0.5sec to get her starting now if i let it sit for 30-60min sometimes more i need to crank it for 3-5sec before it starts...

sometimes ill give it gas so i dont just sit there looking like the car is death and cranking it for fun... but once it starts (with the help of the extra gas from the pedal) it will die after 2sec if i let go of the pedal once its running... which now i have to constantly give gas for it to stay running for the first 5sec...

what causes this problem is it vapor lock (the line is about 1-2inch away from the block as it goes up to the carb.. situated being the water pump), bad choke (carb is 3yr old)...

im still stumped on what is the cause... any help?

Advertisement

Last edited by abas_abas; 06-24-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 PM

The stock Edelbrock carb gasket does not provide any insulation from manifold heat. It usually helps to have at least a 1" phenolic spacer under the Edelbrock so that it does not get as much heat from the manifold, especially if the heat cross-over is still connected.

It also works better in the summer if the fuel pump has an operational fuel return line on the pump (many folks delete them), since the constant flow of fuel in the line keeps the fuel cooler.

Bruce
Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,292 Times in 1,051 Posts
Does the hot fuel and carburetor cause a big drop in power? I have not had car die or not start when hot but notice a drop in power and weaker accellerator pump on hot summer day. Also, I can limit the effect if I turn on the fan override and not let the engine go over 180 degrees.

John L
Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long
Does the hot fuel and carburetor cause a big drop in power? I have not had car die or not start when hot but notice a drop in power and weaker accellerator pump on hot summer day. Also, I can limit the effect if I turn on the fan override and not let the engine go over 180 degrees.

John L
An old time racer trick was to pack ice on the intake back in the day. Not legal now, but they still sell the good old "Cool Cans". To answer your question, the cooler/denser you can keep your intake charge, the better. Many boost systems use intercoolers.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,292 Times in 1,051 Posts
You are right of course. All heavy duty Diesels have inter-coolers between the turbo and intake for that reason. I wish I had blocked the heat risers to the intake when I built the car. I have also ordered and received a phenolic 1/2 inch spacer to put under the carb which I hope will help. I drove the car for a good while before I painted the hood. I can really tell a differance when it gets warm on a hot day. It doesn't overheat. Just really has a power drop.

John L

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.