Various questions about Fox Mustangs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 05:43 PM
"Drive It Until It Breaks"

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Various questions about Fox Mustangs

Have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to get a little help with:

I need to replace the throttle cable on my 88 Mustang GT. The one on now is stretched badly. The car was converted to carb, so the stock cable is made for EFI. My question is, shouldn't a throttle cable for an 85 GT work with no problem?

I'm running the Holley 670 carb(Street Avenger) and the carb is suppose to come with a universal setting, so I thought maybe the previous owner and changed some of the settings because I was never able to get the choke set correctly. I researched a few forums, and several people have said they were never able to get the electric choke set right on their Holley 670 carb and they eventually just took the choke completely off. Has anyone here ever had that problem with the Holley 670? I need the choke because the car is difficult to start.
Last question is how can you distinguish the difference between a car blowing white smoke because it's cold versus there being something wrong internally? I don't start the car often, maybe once a week, or every two weeks. When I start it up, the pipes were e cut right at the muffler, so the exhaust is coming out basically right up under the rear seat. After about two minutes of running, I start to get a lot of white smoke. It's not a thick smoke, but it's noticeable. It seems like I remember the guy I bought it from saying he had put some sea foam in it, but never had a chance to burn it out. So I'm not sure whether it's a combination of the car being cold and sea foam, or I have internal issues any suggestions?
I know I put a lot out there, but I'm trying to get a good start tomorrow on the car and I'm hoping someone will point me in the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	66139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle Cable.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	66140  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

1. Does the white smoke quit after it runs a while? Is your coolant level getting low? It could be condensation from cool/cold mornings but it should stop after it runs a while. If it don't stop and your coolant level keeps getting low, you have an internal issue such as a head gasket, cracked head or maybe an intake gasket leaking.
2. Is the choke electric?
3. You should be able to use the 85 GT throttle cable but I have to ask, what makes you say yours is "stretched badly"?

DON'T drive that car with that exhaust like it is. Very dangerous!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:06 PM
"Drive It Until It Breaks"

Last photo:

Re;

The reason I say the cable is stretched is because the gas pedal is about half way to the floor. I can pull the ball end of the cable and pull it away from the gas pedal. So there is alot of play in the cable.

And I dont drive the car. Like I said, I bought it a while back, just something for me and my son to work on and get running for him. He's only 13, so we have more than enough time to get it where it should be before he put's it on the road. I'm working on getting an exhaust system now. I wanted to see if I could just have someone weld some pipes on to the muffler without replacing the whole thing if that's possible, but we will see. Thanks for all the advice.

As for those possibilities for the smoke, what's the best way to narrow down exactly what it could be?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac88
The reason I say the cable is stretched is because the gas pedal is about half way to the floor. I can pull the ball end of the cable and pull it away from the gas pedal. So there is alot of play in the cable.

And I dont drive the car. Like I said, I bought it a while back, just something for me and my son to work on and get running for him. He's only 13, so we have more than enough time to get it where it should be before he put's it on the road. I'm working on getting an exhaust system now. I wanted to see if I could just have someone weld some pipes on to the muffler without replacing the whole thing if that's possible, but we will see. Thanks for all the advice.

As for those possibilities for the smoke, what's the best way to narrow down exactly what it could be?
I would start by doing a pressure check on the coolant system. If this checks out good, it's probably just condensation. You do that with a tool (see attachment). But like I said in the earlier reply, if it's condensation it should stop after the engine runs a while at operating temperature.
Attached Images

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.