VDO Gauges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 03:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

VDO Gauges

Howdy all! :-)

Well, I'm well working on my project. It's going great! :-) I had my old boss mill up a few instrument panels for me.

I chose the VDO Cockpit style gauges but wanted them recessed a tad bit.
I had a seperate panel for my option gauges, that I still need but not all the time.

This was out of a pretty decent piece of 6061-T6 aluminum. I placed the Tach and Speedo left and right Center of each other and the primary gauges and the fuel level, clock, and oil/fuel temp & press gauges.

Starting with ebay I picked up what I could.. I am still having troubles locating a few of the gauges.

I'm still looking for the following:

397-015 Temp
301-010 Fuel
310-010 Oil Temp
350-010 Oil Press
332-010 Volt
333-015 Tach

There are different versions of these so, let me know what you have. Also any help wiring these is appreciated. I am especially interested in ones with a 96/xx (with xx being month produced) date code. There are also others that match the 1 261 002 167 (alt p/n: 370-012B) 12v clock. Some of the Cockpit gauges with the 370 series are not made anymore.

Greg

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Place a wanted ad in your classifieds and you will get alot more exposure to your wants.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

Check out one of their major suppliers

http://www.sso-usa.com/performance/
Old 08-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Check the VDO/Siemens website..

They have a page on 500 / 300 gauge lines..see if any of those are what you are looking for..

Place an ad in the Free Classified section of this site..you may get more leads..

As far as wiring , need to know a lot more... Engine type, vehicle type , stock or aftermarket harness, Which cluster (instruments) are to be used, as much RELATED info as you have, and we can further assist you with a wiring / harness layout..

Doc
Old 08-02-2006, 05:36 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Those gauge panels sound KILLER! I sure would like to see some pics if you have them. I've always liked the VDO gauges myself and that is probably what I will use in my Bad Ast Project. If only just to be different then the belly button Autometers you see everyday.
We need pics of this car! You must be pretty well done with the build since I see you are sorting out the wiring, paint and all...
Cletus
Old 08-02-2006, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Yeah they're cool. My ex-boss at the aerospace machine shop I worked at is a good guy. I pay for materials, do up a CAD drawing, etc. he does the work. I actually will send out drawings of my panels to someone that wants to do them up.

Autometer gauges are neat, but I wanted something that was clean. I grew up around similar VDO gauges in the Porshe 911 and 914, and I just like the look of the Cockpit. Actually I like what they did with the 914 style. Parts guys will sell you Autometer all day long around here if you ask.

No, I'm not completely done, I'm still buying and also ironing out what what I need to buy. People like Irelands Child here have been great. I really have to admit I didn't have this experience with the guys at Clubhotrod.com. They all thought I was/am nuts. Ok, maybe I am but.. come on, Dude, lighten up. Search all the threads you can get your hands on and find yerself a rod buddy on here. Possiby and OM, Elmer, OF whatever you wanna call him. Docvette is a cool guy, I glanced over a portion of his writings here too.
Anyone with over 900+ posts is bound to be a winner.

I got all the info off the VDO automotive gauges page that I could see. As for more info: Chevy LT1 350 w/TH350 Trans Aftermarket harness and street/hot rod application. The main two gauges in the cluster are of course the tach and speedo, fuel level, voltmeter and a temp gauge.

The other gauges are in a center console panel, placed where easily seen.

I also added L&R turn signal (green) high beam on (blue) parking brake on (red or amber). These were actual micro light bulbs and lenses, not LED's.

I also thought about adding a bulb failure sensor (which is a freature found in the 70's Volvo 240's and 260's.) It's a cool Bosch part which tells you if you're an idiot and have a burned out or malfunctioning light. I don't know if GM has anything like this. Other things to consicider is a check engine (red or amber light) coming from the ECM. I also thought once about those little blue dots (photocel sensors) they had on the 1977-1979 Caddilacs (and maybe others) that turn on the headlights once it gets dusk. They (GM) used to sell a kit to install this in other cars/trucks. Anyone know if they are available?

As soon as I get another paycheck, I'm running to the store to get myself a battery for my digital camera (they're $40) and taking some pics.

Greg

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.