Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vega Box or Reverse Corvair Box?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltlgto
powerrodsmike, the new Corvair boxes are steel instead of aluminum like the originals. I don't know about trying to find an original vega box? Flaming Rivers new vega boxes run $319.

techron, I think I mis-stated what I've heard. the reversed Corvair boxes cause a lot of bump-steer.

The PITA is the Corvair box and steering arm were already mounted before I bought the car. I only need the drag link. I'm not that knowledgable about steering/suspension, but some of the local hot rodders are telling me to ditch it and go to cross-steer.
You did not say you had a reproduction corvair box, so I assumed it was an original ...those new steel ones may very well get loose after a while, We are seeing more aftermarket steering boxes get loose because even though they are made from steel, the internals are not hardened as good as the saginaws are.

The 525 box like Centerline uses is a good one for manual steering in a moderately heavy car.

Like many others, I like cross steering, the vega or 525 steering box is able to be mounted in a much better place to keep the column out from under your feet while driving.

The corvair box needs to have a fairly steep stereing column angle in order to hook it all up..

It also keeps the outside of the car looking cleaner, without the extra linkage.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example