Velocity Stack ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 09:18 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Velocity Stack ?

What is the purpose of a velocity stack air cleaner other than looking cool I put one on my 350 with a 600 Holley replacing the 14 in. paper edelbrock filter and I'll be danged if it don't run better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

AFAIK, the main attribute is the airflow is less turbulent when using a 'stack. The air enters all basically flowing in the same direction as opposed to having the air enter at all sorts of angles. Even a gently radiused air filter base will help things in this regard- the stack is (to me) like the 'ultimate' base.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

The velocity stack directs the turbulent flow of air to the carb. I've never used one on my cars but have used them on motorcycles with big success. It's amazing how much increase in power you get. It also depends on the length and opening of the stack. I found the slightly longer stacks worked better, again I'm relating to motorcycles. Same principle tho... I recall they made excellent bug catchers too...
Old 12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Thanks for the response guy's. The stack is 4 1/2" tall, 8" across, and fits nicely under the hood of my truck. With the dual screen and filter element, there's no bugs going to get in it, that's CREECH's job up in Alaska with that big fly catcher on his poncho hood. I installed it this morning and it was in the 30's outside. I also have a manual choke on the 600cfm and after about 5 min. of warm up, I didn't have to use as much as I normally do. I thought it would be the other way around but I guess the primary boosters are getting a good signal. It's soooo much fun when an engine responds to very little thing you do. After another 10 min. of cruising around town here, I could tell a difference in how smooth it accelerated and it felt like it had just a tad more torque in the bottom end. Full throttle test will be this afternoon on the way to work. I opened the hood when I got back home to check that all was correct and the motor doesn't look like it belongs in there
anymore. I might (depending on the weather) clean it up some and take a pic of it. Thanks again.

Last edited by sqzbox; 12-03-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.