Venting: Car shows - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 11:46 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Venting: Car shows

OK, I take the cars to the Syracuse Nationals to RELAX....
Park the two cars 6-8 feet apart, and away from other cars. Now it becomes a traffic aisle. In everyones opinion, whats worse?

1.) Women with purses, buckles scraping the paint

2.) Snot nosed brats "fingering the cars"

3.) Idiots knocking on the metal to see if its got bondo (like they could tell)

4.) Idiots sitting on the ground, leaning against the car during the truck giveaway (Want to see me become unglued?)

5.) Two teenagers playing grab-butt with each other right next to the car, while their parent watch them, laughing. (They didn't laugh long)

6.) Guys telling me their 71 Chevelle was identical to my 65.

7.) When there are people looking at the car, fat-butt women try to squeeze by, and you KNOW they are scuffing the paint with their rotund butts. Why can't they say excuse me, and wait 5 FRICKEN SECONDS for the people to move?

Someone pass me the barbituates, please?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 12:58 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

For all those reasons I will never understand why anyone would take their nice car to a car show. And I wouldn't want to have to listen to people tell me how great my car looks all day, or hear the "I used to own a...", and the excessive questions you will get.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

I had a lady at a car show open my door, get in and start messing with switches and what not. When i gave her a dirty look and started walking over to her she says to me, "it's okay, Jerry said i could". My reply was " I dont know who the f%&* Jerry is, get your *** out of my car." She looked at me like i was the crazy one!!!!!
Some people.........

C
Old 07-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Had a kid get in mine and standing in the seat twisting the steering wheel as hard as he could while momma was taking a picture. When I confronted her, she said she had bought a ticket.
%^&^%%#$#$%&&^%

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 07-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I go to the Western Nats for the same reason - to chill. I get there early and park on the black-top directly in front of one of the big vendor display quonset huts at the fair grounds, right near the entrance of the park. Haven't had any problems there in many years. Combo of pretty good crowd, too hot to stand there very long and folks are really anxious to move on and look at more cars so don't dally at mine.

As far as the guys who want to stop and bench race about my car and their memories, I am honored to do that and don't mind a bit.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:15 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Holy Kow!!! Willys said ''chill''.........

it never ceases to amaze me, the amount of stupidity one person (or family) is allowed to possess. and in fifteen-twenty years, those snot nosed brats will be back with their snot nosed brood, boogering up nice cars......

what don't people get about not messing up another persons stuff? would you like me to go take a dump on your hood?

now i understand why people rope their cars off.....

Quote:
i bought a ticket....
yeah, good for one asskicking. and your first in line.

aaaahhhh... good old barbiturates.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

some of the Ideotos are bold, you just have to be Bolder!!

If you don't say anything they think they can do just about anything, get in, knock on the body, or lean on a fender. I had a guy open my hood, chewed him a new *** hole! A lady with kids let the kid up on my running board, I told her to get her kid of my car NOW! She tried to tell me the kld wasn't hurting anything, and I told her to get her DAMN KID OFF MY RUNNING BOARD or I would!~ These people are stupid-Stupid-STUPID! I don't do car show's anymore. You would think people would RESPECT somebody elses property and Know its wasn't cool to put there hands or feet or butts on anybodys stuff?????? Just plain STUPID people!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 07-19-2004, 02:38 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy larry
it never ceases to amaze me, the amount of stupidity one person (or family) is allowed to possess.
i always feel like other people at a car gathering of any type, really think i'm an a-hole. because i WILL YELL AT MY KIDS, "DON'T TOUCH" but you know what, i find that if a car person thinks your being respectful of their stuff, they'll go out of their way to answer any questions, or even give the kids an up close and personal tour. they've even been for a ride or two that i feel sure wouldn't have taken place if they'd have been perceived as ''snot-nosed brats.'' don't get me wrong. they are snotty, but i won't tolerate any ill behavior at all. i hope i never offend anyone by keeping my buggers in line.

btw, i don't care what stupid people think, i know better than they do.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:05 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Well said Larry when I was little and walking around at car shows I would notice the owners watching me very closely because they know someone my age would be likely to touch thier car. But I stayed a reasonable distance from the cars, some owners would talk to me, some of them would offer to let me sit in the car.

I don't know how some of you guys can stand it, all those idiots walking around putting your paint job in danger.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:17 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

If someone comes up to the car, hand behind their back or if they are holding their cameras, purses, etc, from swinging into the car, I am most appreciative and even thank them for their concern. Its the little SOB's that think THEY OWN your car for the price of a ticket.

As a highlight, I got to work on a 32 Studebaker that a real nice fellow was having problems with. A vacuum line and a condenser was all of his problems. REAL great guy with a heck of a story about the car. WAY too long to type though. His buddies from Jersey were AOK, too ! They all took the "chop busting" in good humor, when I told them we only needed a 5/16 wrench, screwdriver and a 24 oz. Ball peened Ford Wrench.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:23 PM

I don't understand kids man, when i was little i wouldn't even try to tuch a car at a car show (maybe because i had just seen the kid in front of me get yeld at for it.)

I make it a point for me and anyone with me to respect other peoples cars when at a show, and i never touch.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:35 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Interesting thread. My experience here in the Midwest has been that 98 % of car show spectators understand proper etiquette and are quite respectful of the cars...and this includes their kids. At Back to the 50's, for example, there were more than 100,000 spectators and over three days I only saw one child put a hand on my car. I even let one young boy (he was with his grandparents, very courteous and very interested in the car) have a couple of minutes sitting behind the wheel. I don't make a practice of doing that, but sometimes you can just see in their eyes that a kid has a genuine interest in hot rods.

At other smaller shows I go to it is a very rare occurrence to see an adult or child touch a car, much less climb inside. But I have no doubt it happens from time to time.

My attitude regarding the chit chat with spectators is that anyone who owns and shows a hot rod automatically becomes an ambassador and representative of the entire sport. And I like the idea of people driving home from these events thinking that hot rodders, as a group, are a friendly, courteous, and helpful bunch. Sure, some of the questions can be naive and repetitive - but they are not naive and repetitive to the person who does the asking.

When I show my car I like to spend about half my time looking over the other cars and talking with their owners. The other half of the time I spend hanging out around my own car talking with spectators. So every show is a two-way street for me. I learn a bunch from other rod builders who are willing to share and hopefully I also pass along a bit of helpful information here and there to spectators who take the time to ask.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

My car and truck, are just drivers, so I don't much mind if they get a little abuse. I even offer to let the little kids sit in the truck, makes 'em happy.

I do understand why owners of super mint machinery get upset though. I get upset too when they act like a**holes, and don't seem to care if they scratch stuff etc.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:59 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

This last year my father had a car in the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale, AZ. He decided to sell it last minute and had to settle for a sunday auction date at around noon. He was a complete wreck by the time it rolled up on the block. He ended up missing my one year olds son's birthday because he was afraid to leave the car. He had to pull seven different people out of the car when he came back from various trips to get food or whatever. Some guy even broke the emergency brake cable. The people that were the worst were the looky loos not the registered bidders. The only cool thing was seeing Tim Allen checking out the car, which dad missed because he was on another bathroom break. (Its hell to get old). Another good thing was he got $10,000.00 more than he was expecting.

The car was a little french car called an Alpine a110. Cool car but very small.

John
Old 07-19-2004, 05:07 PM

Here's the answer!

I don't know why this isn't better know. This sounds like a great solution to keeping people off your car!
It's from Hot Rod, 1952.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.