Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - A very disturbing discovery
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A very disturbing discovery

Yesterday I have made a very disturbing discovery on my 53 Chevy.

First, this is how I got to it:

I had the whole front end assembled to check alignment before starting on making new bumper brackets. I fitted the hood loosely and saw that the 2 rear most tips don't match the body equally. This told me that the front center is actually off the car's centre line.

After holding a piece of rope along the car's centre line I saw the hood's centre was off to the left by about 3/4 inch! The frame between the fenders was not unmovable yet so moved it until the hood was centred and this made the rear tips line up properly. BUT, now the centre between the front frame tips are to the left of the body centre line and obviously the front of the engine too meaning the engine's not sitting straight! Not to mention what this will do to wheel alignment. Another item pointing towards this problem is that now the left front wheel sits noticable closer to the outside than the right.

Some history now:
When I bought the car I was told the body was placed on a Chevrolet De Ville chassis but later I saw that it was only the front clip from the De Ville.

After measuring some it didn't look as if the front axle line was off square with the rest of the chassi but now it seems as if it's actually off the centre line! Damn!!!

Now, what now?

Do I cut the whole clip off and re-fit it OR do I rob my GMC chassis of it's Jaguar IFS and build a new clip and put the Jag IFS onto that?

My plan was to try and have the car finished by March next year but this will set me back at least a month if not more. Damn!!!