Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Very Hard Braking!
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Tall T
I've never heard of this procedure. Is it something that is applicable to Wilwood pads only or is this a recommended procedure for all disc brake pads? Also is it possible that my disc pads are too hard for this application? In the past they used to sell different grades of pads (soft and hard - economy and heavy duty) and I wonder if this still is a practise today.
Bedding pads used to be common on racing brake pads and less so for street cars. No street car pads that I am aware of anymore require being bedded in. Wilwood's may need to be because that is a racing brakes company, but I doubt that is the problem. "Green" pads (before being bedded in) do have poorer stopping performance, but not to the point that it takes both feet to stop the car from highway speeds. There are many different techniques to bed in pads, but most call for several medium fast stops followed by several high speed stops just to the point of lock up and then let them cool completely. It doesn' cost anything but fuel and pad material to do it, so give it a shot and then let us know how it came out. Just give yourself plenty of run-off room in the process.

Yes, there are different pad materials and compounds. Organics tend to be soft, semi-metallic are more aggressive, and carbon tend to be harder yet, but some of them work very well cold (amazing stuff!). Many race pads don't start to work well until they get up to temperature so consequently are not typically the best for street driving.

Andy