Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Very Involved Problem 400sbc
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89k1500 View Post
Thanks for the links and other information guys! Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. I think i'll buy a limiter plate and the crane advance kit and try and dial in the timing.

"If you slowly accelerate and shift into 3rd gear,coast for awhile the hammer it,does it instantly fall down or is it ok for a few seconds?" I will have to try this and get back to you!

I will more than likely switch back to the electric pump also just to eliminate the fuel pump as the problem.

Fuel filter was one of the first things to get changed. =)
Sounds like your on the right track.

Like vinnie said. If you can coast for a few second and it hits hard for a few second then its runiing the float bowls dry and needs more fuel pump. this is a common issue and may just be a slow fuel system with small lines or pump.

You said you jetted the carb richer did this help the issue or make it worse/better. If its ignition knocking, jetting up should have some small efects on the problem.

You can buy a high volume mechanical fuel pump. Edelbrock sells a chrome one but you can buy one for cheap at any good auto parts store. Try to avoid the high pressure one it is more of an issue to install. Since you need a regulator to run it. And cheap regulator can lead to the same problem you are having. Since they are too small to flow enough fuel. 6 psi works great for most carb setups. 7 will flood the carb 5 may run dry at wot.

If you can eliminate fuel as an issue it would really help narrow down the problem.