Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Very Involved Problem 400sbc
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89k1500 View Post
Well I finaly got some time and messed with the fuel system. Hooked the electric pump up and now I have a solid 6psi. Now when I drive it it still backfires in third and higher gears, but it has a LOT more power. I havent messed with the carb settings since changing the pump(it was 30 degrees outside) and I still think the timing is off, but so far there is marked improvement!
Good to hear at least your on the right track. Maybe try 7psi and see of that floods on sharp turns or braking if not it should be ok at that psi. Now hopefully it will respond correctly to jetting changes and allow its self to be tuned properly.

I like to tune on a cold day but not 30 degrees. LOL

Now i would think its time to look at the plugs and see how its running or hook up some type pf lean rich guage even without wide band a regular o2 sensor really helps tune somtimes. But detonation should show up on the plugs. Also should be able to tune it out by setting the timing at 10 degrees and just test drive to see if it cleans up a little if not its surely carb realted. Unless the distributer is completely out of whack with mech advance worn out that should clean up the knocking a little. Maybe even a little less for short trip to see if its ignition problem. bad coil and bad modual are still likely an issue. Its never certain they are good unless they are new and tested.