Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Very Involved Problem 400sbc
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89k1500 View Post
I foregot that I had put a distriburator on it from e-bay. Not sure if that makes it better or worse

SBC BBC Chevy 65K Red Hei Distributor 6501 R | eBay

not sure how good of quality it is. It was in another motor and that one didn't have any problems other than being tired.

What am I looking for on the plugs? I had em out today and they were kinda black. They were new when we put the motor together.

are you thinking I have too much timing and that is why I am setting it a 10deg?
Well a new distributer makes a difference. Did it come with any extra parts. I suggest moving the timing cause it is the next easiest thing to try. But this is much less likely a problem with a performance distributer. Stock dizzy has much more timing curve in factory tune. Usally they tune the performance models a little different. You should be able to find specs on it.

Heavy detonation will show up as spotting on the plugs. Black can be because the engine is missing or running rich. You almost need clean plugs to see how the engine is running. Do you have a spark plug cleaner or a way to clean them quickly. Maybe buy a few new ones and use them one at a time and see how they look.

Be sure to clean the plugs they may be fouled after missing for so long.

Do you have the edelbrock tuning kit or did you just buy jets?