Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - very lazy 400
Thread: very lazy 400
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

WOW I am stunned by some of the comments about your build. Its not that far off from perfect certainly closer to the mark then all of our first builds. Feel good about your self and your project its just fine. The poor engine just needs some love. And in this case that love needs to be giving under the hood not on the internet.

I am not recommending you adjust your timing your self because i am unsure of the cars exhuast and engine noise and also you do not have some of the needed tools to get it right. Not that you can't do it. But if the engine was to knock badly after ajustments and you didnt hear it becasue of loud pipes or some other reason then you will break the pistons and cause massive damage. Sure its common for people to build there own engines and tune them. But its not always the best solution for every build. a build this close to the limit of detonation I my self my take it in for a dyno tune with wide band or egt. For the simple reason the EGT will let the dyno guy know its going to knock before it happens. With proper tuning a good tuner can tune all the ugly out of it and leave more hp on the table than simple driveway ear job.

FYI: Im sure this will cheese fbird off but really its the truth. Most cars burn way too much gas with locked out timing. a properly tuned car may pay for its dyno runs in fuel savings in just a few weeks of driving. Locked out dizzy is needed in some cases and you may need to do it. but this is not a first round tool its a last resort. Good first step if it was 20 years ago. Now we can tune an engine with proper tools for spark and fuel and get it dead on perfect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
1Gary (02-27-2013), 90caprice408 (02-27-2013)