very lazy 400 - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuel starvation was my first thought. F-bird is right the tbi pump was made to support like 200hp. You're making way more than that on a bugger engine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

that could be part of my problem right there.....I just assumed that it would be enough being that i read the factory pump had around 13psi and all a carb needed to run was around 6 psi
Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90caprice408 View Post
that could be part of my problem right there.....I just assumed that it would be enough being that i read the factory pump had around 13psi and all a carb needed to run was around 6 psi
Pressure and volume are two different animals.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 PM

In my fuel system I run 1/2 inch line,including the pick up.My pump is mechanical and has a regulator on it. put a kill switch on the pump circuit,2 reasons:
good anti theft if switch is hidden
if you crash and engine is running, especially in a ditch or weird angle shut off fuel supply if a fire starts
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

caprice, you could use a mechanical pump for your setup. I think they are much more reliable than inline pumps.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

I put a 400 in a 86 Camaro and kept the TPI pump after installing a regulator with a return. Car had 2.73 gears, stock TH700, stock heads, a cam with about 220 duration at .050 and when you floored it it would spin the tires until it hit third gear. The TPI pump will run OK up to about 350hp.
If the car is idling and the carb is full of fuel, it doesnt take much pump to make it blow the tires off for at least 50 feet.
Look at changing your cam. Its either bad, or installed wrong.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

The tpi pump flows more than the tbi pump too. So op you're starving for fuel. Also I agree your cam is mismatched. The rest of the motor is ok, but I think a smaller cam will really help you out. Your motor is getting into its power band right as the converter is locking up. Plus the small heads with the big cam are choking it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Old & Furious

Inline pump or mechanical pump will work. You can leave the in tank pump in place a mechanical pump will still be able to pull fuel out fo the tank. But the fuel line size may be an issue with an inline pump you can use some more pressure to get the flow you need with smaller lines. But the regulator to support the fuel level will be more exspensive. Just a stronger intank high pressure high volume pump my be a good fix i know the tpi pump will support alot more than 200 hp at 6 psi.

New lines carb to tank. Much larger than stock with mech fuel pump should be cheapest to get working. But may require the most hands on labor.

But this is not your current problem since the first initial whack comes out of the float bowls.

Still needs to be addressed if its weak. Do you have a lean rich guage hooked up to the car. They are cheap and easy enough to weld in the bung for the o2 sensor. Great cheap insurance cause you can watch it go lean and may be able to let off soon enough to avoid damage. Not a fix for a bad pump but good if the pump goes out or other problems araise in the future.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Still needs to be addressed if its weak. Do you have a lean rich guage hooked up to the car. They are cheap and easy enough to weld in the bung for the o2 sensor. Great cheap insurance cause you can watch it go lean and may be able to let off soon enough to avoid damage. Not a fix for a bad pump but good if the pump goes out or other problems araise in the future.
This is a good idea. I wideband afr gauge will tell you a lot. Make sure you get a wideband with the sensor. A regular afr gauge will only say rich or lean. The wideband will tell you the exact ratio.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:06 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

In my opinion your summit carb with your build will add to the bottom end acceleration problems! And as Vinnie said the air cleaner on my dino never made HP it actually Made less at lower RPMs But its pretty and looks cool
Its a 3 stage carb (jets and 2 power valves) a small slow excelerator pump and doggy secondary!! Its for street, basically a stock replacement and a cheap buy. If you were just to change to a Holley 650 to 750 double pumper it would wake up your bottom end right out of the box before you even tune in the jets or power valve or bleeds.

If you got rid of that cheap dist. and went to a better dist like an MSD OR Mallory competition dist or even the E curve with the easier dial in curve and RPM limiter it would further improve your off line response, the fuel volume problem needs to be addressed to as said but its not affecting your off line performance!

Have you tried to lock out the dist. for a test yet like F.bird sugjested? Or taken up to date pics.? Have you answered the Question about the crank case ventilation? What have you done since starting this thread 9 days ago?

Have you even read this???
"Skip White Hei dist.
Item No: 6500-R Clear cap
HIGH PERFORMANCE CHEVY SUPER 65K VOLT HEI DISTRIBUTOR 6500-R.
Price: $38.50 + $10.00 shipping
Is this the dist. you bought? If it is I did some research! Skip White does not recommend these for cams much bigger then stock and they are limited in the amount of timing and how much curve you can achieve,They are a stock replacement OEM China built!
The one Skip White Recommended for a couple of steps up in cam choice is: Item No: 6601-R
SBC CHEVY PRO BILLET DISTRIBUTOR CHEVY # 6601-R.
Price: $47.50 + shipping
YOU MUST RUN A CDI BOX, AND EXTERNAL COIL WITH THIS DISTRIBUTOR (NOT INCLUDED)
I don't think you read or you just ignored it???? That cheep dist. you bought isn't even recommended by its manufacture "MR CHIP WHITE" himself!!!!!!

Every one is making suggestions and you set back on your key board and just lead us on with no progress When you decide to do something I might come back on this thread!!!!!!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 03-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
thinwhiteduke (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Have not been able to work on the car due to the fact that the car is almost 30 miles away from me....its not in a garage so weather has also been an issue.....I will definitely address the pcv issue when I go down there next time...I was under the impression that the breather I had on there worked the same way....as for the timing issue I have not had a chance to lock it out or tinker with the advance curve
Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

I believe that is the distributor I bought....and since u've brought that to my attention I think I will invest in one of those ecurve distributors
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM

maybe kill the thread and reactivate when weather permits time to work on it?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90caprice408 View Post
I believe that is the distributor I bought....and since u've brought that to my attention I think I will invest in one of those ecurve distributors

good choice! Vinnies idea of reopening the thread later sounds good Too!

Jester
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

OMG, just lock out the dissy as soon as you get the chance, it's real simple and set your static timing to 34* and try it. You'll be surprised how much happier the engine will respond. If it works for you and you still want to have a tailored advance curve, you can still do that later, at least you'll know if you've nailed the problem. I'm not sure if you can do the procedure in with the dist in the car, maybe a bit awkward. I took mine out. It's like a 1-2 hr job, and you can always change it back. You say you want to fix the problem without throwing any more money at the car, well this will cost nothing to try. Get fancy with the curve later if you like. Mine still runs locked out timing and is very well mannered on the street. It's been mentioned that its 'backyard' 'last resort' 'like choking the door open to let the draught in' or whatever, and when I got the money ill get an MSD too, but ATM I'm real happy the way mine is. Use ported vacuum adv. too.
How much vacuum you got at idle?
Get a 3500 stall, lock the timing out and THEN let's know!

Duke

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.