Very rich idle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 06:20 PM
I dun learned sumthin

Wiki Edits: 0

Very rich idle

I recently swaped intake manifolds changing from a Victor Jr. to a Weiand Stealth Air-strike. I picked up about 5 inches of mercury at idle going from ~11inHg to ~16inHg. Ever since this however the car idles very rich, to the point that it is blowing lots of smoke out the exhaust and causing eyes to burn.
I have tried adjusting the mixtures screws and they are set about 3/4 turns from bottoming out. Any further lean and the car doesn't run well. The transfer slots are set to the appropriate .02 inch but the primarys can be completely closed and the car will still idle great at 1000 rpm. It has great throttle response and runs very well other than the fact that it is so rich. The spark plugs have around 1 hour of run time on them and they look like charcoal. I don't know what is so wrong, it ran great before the manifold swap and I wouldn't think that picking up a little manifold vacuum would cause that many problems. What do you think could be wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
If it's a Holley, could be a ruptured power valve. Did you get any hiccup or backfire after the change?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

check to make sure nothing is holding the secondarys open a small amount.

sam-missle
Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I dun learned sumthin

I did put in a new power valve and that didn't change it at all. I don't think the secondaries are being held open but that would explain the high idle. Also I can plug the boosters in the venturies with my fingers and there is no change so the main circuit is not being activated.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 AM

Last photo:

what kind of carb, if its not a good match to your motor you may need to decrease the size of the idle channel restrictors(installing a small v shaped wire in the metering block) or enlarge the air bleeds (drilling the main body). Messing around with these things if you dont know what you're doing is a good way to ruin a carb, i recommend getting a good holley tuning book (SA designs has a real good one) and reading up on it.

air bleeds ( the larger ones are for the idle, and the smaller ones are for the main metering system)

idle feed restrictors
Old 05-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I dun learned sumthin

Its a Speed Demon 750 mechanical secondary. I was also considering restricting the idle feed ports. It just seems strange that the increase in vacuum could cause such a problem.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

Riich

Friend of mine has the same Carb on a 383 with VortecVictorJr. With the full exhaust hooked up it will choke a mule it's so rich. When he has open headers it runs perfectly clean. (Any) exhaust other than open headers and it's severely rich. I mentioned to him about restricting the Idle feed circuit with wire but he wont tried it. Guess he like choking everyone behind him.LOL!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

carb

What are your initial and total timing numbers???

Keith
Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

If the engine is idling high, most likely your primary or secondary butteflys are open too far causing this rich condition. The larger intake would have had less air velocity so you would have had to open the butterflies further to get it rich enough.

Remove the carburetor and reset the butterflies first. If you're idling too high you won't be able to set the idle mixture properly.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSS350
I recently swaped intake manifolds changing from a Victor Jr. to a Weiand Stealth Air-strike. I picked up about 5 inches of mercury at idle going from ~11inHg to ~16inHg. Ever since this however the car idles very rich, to the point that it is blowing lots of smoke out the exhaust and causing eyes to burn.
I have tried adjusting the mixtures screws and they are set about 3/4 turns from bottoming out. Any further lean and the car doesn't run well. The transfer slots are set to the appropriate .02 inch but the primarys can be completely closed and the car will still idle great at 1000 rpm. It has great throttle response and runs very well other than the fact that it is so rich. The spark plugs have around 1 hour of run time on them and they look like charcoal. I don't know what is so wrong, it ran great before the manifold swap and I wouldn't think that picking up a little manifold vacuum would cause that many problems. What do you think could be wrong?
How much timing do you have in the motor at idle? How far open is the idle eze? Have you checked for any vacuum leaks both around the intake and between the carb base and the intake mounting pad?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

2 quick things. 1, demon carbs are craptacular. 2, if you are pulling more vac below the carb it will...... pull more fuel. Does your demon have replacable air bleeds? Worked with a few of those carbs, had to keep an air bleed kit handy to make them decent on the street. Single plane intakes seem to work ok, but dual planes tend to pool the fuel in the plenums and lower runners with those carbs.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
I dun learned sumthin

The issue with the timing is that I have had it advaced to the point of kicking back on the starter and retarded to the point of not running well and everywhere in between. It doesn't seem to make a difference on how rich it runs. I try to set it where I can get the highest vacuum without detonation but it still smokes.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.