Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Very rough idle on cold start up?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 09:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Very rough idle on cold start up?

I have a buick V6 in a 85 toyota 4x4 that I just rebuilt. I am having problems with cold startups. It also has a miss after warm up but it is not severe. Today when I started it, I put the choke on and when it started up, the whole engine shook until I brought it up to approximately 1800 RPM. It does not like throttle at all when it is cold, you have to get into it real slow or it will bog. No problems after it is warmed up, except for a slight miss.

What does this sound like to you? I am running an edlelbrock 500 CFM carb, and it is only timed "by ear" because I can't find specs anywhere on the reccommended timing for this motor. I was told that I could adjust the timing for the highest vaccuum and back off one in/hg per 10 in/hg that it pulls, but when I did this, the initial timing was way over 16 BTDC, which didn't seem correct. If someone can help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

TravisT