Vibration in Front Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2002, 08:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Vibration in Front Suspension

My 35 Ford Sedan has a mustangII front end that has very low mileage, (less than 2000 miles)which goes into a vibration mode between 60 and 70 mph. Speeds around 50-55 mph, car drives great.

The wheels are in balance,also has new shocks. Car does not have power steering at this date.

Has anyone experienced this problem ? Would power steering resolve the problem ? Need you thoughts and comments.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2002, 12:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

What X-member did you use? Type of steering gear shouldn't make a difference. Sounds like you may not have enough caster in the alignment. What does your alignment man say?
Old 07-17-2002, 01:53 PM

RANCHER: I went to seminar at GG Columbus and Fatman said: This type of vibration is caused because you cannot balance thru full speed range. MustangII without dampeners will pass vibration thru to steering. He suggested having wheels balanced at different lower speed like 48 MPH and you should be okay at higher speeds??? I am sure he would be available on line at Fatman Fabrication. Good Luck Dave E shank davesr@trianglesalesusa.com
Old 07-17-2002, 04:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Exclamation

I have the same problem and was told by Heidts (it's their front end) to us a vibration damper to solve it. Haven't had a chance to pick one up yet but hope to at the NSRA Nats in Louisville next month.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:38 PM

hows this for outside the box, not all tires are round ive heard of good quality tires being slightly off round or having bulge in them, so no matter how balanced everyting is, tire not being round can be a big problem, highly unlikely
Old 07-19-2002, 07:47 PM

I used to work for Firestone and we had a problem come in the shop just like yours. If you know the wheels are balanced there is a chance the tires are out of round or you may have what they call radial vibration.

1. Jack the car up on the front and check to see if your wheel bearings are adjusted properly.

2. Jack each tire off the ground until you have about 1/4 inch between the tire and a concrete floor.

3. Rotate the tire and watch the space between the tire and the concrete floor.

4. If the tire is out of round you will see the high spot every time it comes around close the the concrete. In minor cases you can have the tires trued and balanced. In a major case you will have to replace the tire. A SMALL high spot is normal.

5. Check for the radial vibration by switching the two front tires on the front. Left tire to right side, right tire to left side. Drive the car up tot he usual vibration speed and listen to see if the vibration changes. Do the same for the rear tires. Use this method to see if you have a tire or rim problem. If you find a tire that is vibrating after you know it is true, balanced, aligned, on a good rim the only thing you can do is replace the tire. They are hard to track down. Balancing is more critical on the front, if the engine is up front, and sometimes I have fixed the problem by mearly putting the rear tires on the front, and the front tires on the rear.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:49 PM

For what it is worth, I have a `34 Fordand had a similar problem. I prt on new Michlines and had them balanced on the car. Took care of the problem.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:49 PM

Talking

I agree with "Livinproof", had same experience. As far as balancing, on or off, it's hard to find someone willing to spend the time it takes to get it right.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.