vibration problem? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

vibration problem?

I had my ford 8 inch rebuilt by a friend who says hes a mechanic..... anyway he replaced the 3.00 with 3.80 and put a lock-right locker in it. since having it back in the car I have noticed a fairly bad vibration once I get above 70 and is real bad when keeping speed there, meaning not decel or accel. I can kind of notice it around lower speeds barely. it feels like a not so smooth road at lower speeds. and again I can only feel it when maintaining speed and it dissappears on accel or decel. there are a few things I think it might be and want someone to agree with one hopefully. also the rear end doesnt howl or make any noise and there isnt any big clunk going into gear so I dont think it is to loose, also it is dependant on the speed not rpm of the engine. while having the axles out I had them standing on end on the lug bolts and one fell over once. could that have been enough to bend it and creat a vibration? also I really tightened my U-joints down good - its in a 70 ford so it has the old style u bolts. could I have tightened them to much? I am scared to death its my rear diff. please tell me it IS one of the other things or that the diff wouldnt cause that sort of vibration without noise. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sounds more like a "U" joint to me.

I wonder if he put the "U" joint back in the same position as it was before. Sometimes, it makes a difference.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Sounds more like a "U" joint to me.

I wonder if he put the "U" joint back in the same position as it was before. Sometimes, it makes a difference.
I agree with poncho it sounds like the U-Joints on the drive shaft. Do you know if the drive shaft was installed in the same position as it was removed. IMO it's a good idea to mark the U-joint cap and the rear yolk so you know that it is going back together the same. You can try this remove the drive shaft from the rear end and rotate it 1/2 turn and retry with a road test.
No IMO I don't think knocking over the axle shaft would cause it to bend.
let us know what the fix is, good luck
Old 05-11-2005, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

I wasn't that carefull about putting the shaft back in the same position, in the past I never paid attention to that and always been ok, I suppose I could have always been lucky on getting it back on the same way. but I am going to take it off tonight and replace the whole u-joint anyway. and I will repost on if it fixed it.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

I changed the U-joints and test drove it. it seems a little smoother but still has a pretty good vibration that I can feel at high speeds only when I barely give it gas so that there is no load on the rear. could this possibly be a common sort of thing with lowergears? another thought I had and this is a long shot, but since I now have a locker in the rear end and my right tire which is the one that used to only spin has alot less tread on it. could the difference in tread heigth be enough to make the locker want to dissengage because of the difference in revolutions caused by different diameters at high speed. or would that difference not be enough to make a difference.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.