Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Vice Grips: Which brand? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/vice-grips-brand-181823.html)

stinger12 07-29-2010 08:28 AM

Vice Grips: Which brand?

Well, now that Irwin Vise Grip has moved to China, it appears that there aren't any other brands out there with quality vice grips. Or am I wrong?

Which company still makes their vice grips in the USA...I am looking for quality. I am starting a new job and need to stock up on quality vice grips!

302 Z28 07-29-2010 08:59 AM

You can still find USA made Vise Grips on the store shelves. They are mixed in with Chinese Vise Grips you just have to look though the whole stack. I recently purchased six Vise Grip pliers that were USA made from Lowes and Home Depot.

Vince

MARTINSR 07-29-2010 09:09 AM

All I can say about them going over to China is http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fGRugr8wlc...ry-256x256.png

And I believe we should all email Erwin and tell them this. We have bought the last of the USA made off the shelf at our local store and will never buy a pair again because they will last forever. Thanks for selling us out Erwin.

Brian

MARTINSR 07-29-2010 09:16 AM

I just went to the erwin site (Click here) and sent them this..

"I am a fifty year old autobody technician who has a tool box drawer full of your Vice grips. I just wanted to tell you what a fine product you USED TO MAKE here in America. Thanks for selling us out and moving production of these fine tools to China to make another two cents on each one, I really appreciate it. Thank God I don't have to buy any of them anymore because I would buy some cheap Chinese ones before yours just as a protest to you moving their production out of the US.
You should be ashamed of yourself!"

Brian

stinger12 07-29-2010 09:32 AM

All the stores I have gone to only have "the made in USA from imported parts" or just "made in china" on them. I'll keep an eye out on them, but for the time being, which brand is the next one to turn to? Snap on?

sqzbox 07-29-2010 09:41 AM

If your that adament about "made in the USA" might as well include Whirlpool refridgerator's. They closed the evansville plant, pink slipped 2.300 workers, and moved production to Mexico. :(

MARTINSR 07-29-2010 09:45 AM

I boycott these people when ever possible and let them know it. I also praise the companies who DO stay here and I let them know it! Send snail mail if you can, those are the ones that really mean something. But send them a quick note, THANK these companies who stay here!

Brian

sqzbox 07-29-2010 09:53 AM

If your in the business to make money, there's 2 things working against you in America. 1 is Greedy unions. 2 is high taxes that are levied on each production machine. South of the border looks pretty good with an hourly rate of $2.30 and no production tax on machines. Raising taxes on business and lowering them on workers pretty well ran them out of town.

You can thank the tax monster's for that. :eek: :boxing:

pepi 07-29-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqzbox
If your in the business to make money, there's 2 things working against you in America. 1 is Greedy unions. 2 is high taxes that are levied on each production machine. South of the border looks pretty good with an hourly rate of $2.30 and no production tax on machines. Raising taxes on business and lowering them on workers pretty well ran them out of town.

You can thank the tax monster's for that. :eek: :boxing:

when all the businesses leave WHO do you think the government will get the money from .... the same face you see when you shave, we need the business/corporations to stay here to offset our taxes .. If we start to not by there products because they are overseas and let them know that is the very reason ............ maybe, not holding my breath, it could make some stay. No matter how cheep the labor or the tax base overseas, if no one is buying, they fold.. We have the gold and they want that for sure.

pepi 07-29-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I just went to the erwin site (Click here) and sent them this..

"I am a fifty year old autobody technician who has a tool box drawer full of your Vice grips. I just wanted to tell you what a fine product you USED TO MAKE here in America. Thanks for selling us out and moving production of these fine tools to China to make another two cents on each one, I really appreciate it. Thank God I don't have to buy any of them anymore because I would buy some cheap Chinese ones before yours just as a protest to you moving their production out of the US.
You should be ashamed of yourself!"

Brian

used that link and here was my input:

Where to buy ? well I will not be using your products anymore. I spend my money on American made tools ONLY!! If you ever reopen your manufacturing again and reemploy the American workers , you have my address and phone number ... Feel free to call me at that time........... so AMF for now

sqzbox 07-29-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepi
when all the businesses leave WHO do you think the government will get the money from .... the same face you see when you shave.

I agree pepi! But, with over 8 milloin people out of work, who they going to tax? :confused:

302 Z28 07-29-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqzbox
I agree pepi! But, with over 8 milloin people out of work, who they going to tax? :confused:

I will tell who they will tax, your 401K, your company funded retirement, your medical plan and anything else the slimeballs can think of to tax.

Vince

snorulz 07-29-2010 03:19 PM

so in an attempt to get this thread back on track, are there any American made vice grip style tools anymore?

327NUT 07-29-2010 04:19 PM

I don't know the answer to your question but a source for old time vice grips in your local pawn shop. Some are good and some are very worn out but they are there...just gotta hunt.

poncho62 07-29-2010 04:28 PM

First...Vise Grip is a brand name, not a type of tool....If it isn't made by the Vise Grip company, they are locking pliers....

Gonna play the devils advocate here......How do you know that the Chinese Vise Grips are a worse quality than the US made ones?