(vin)dash replace,vin plate gone. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
45woody

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

(vin)dash replace,vin plate gone.

Purchased camaro,it got insp,and licenced,ins.beg an my build ie new powertrain,paint,interior,etc.17,000 into it didnt like aluminum dash,an d took it out,and what do ya know nothin but empty hole where vin plate should be.went in behind blower motor and scrambled vin does not match title.not even close.so what are options at this point,previous owner strongly denies any wrong doing(of course).dont know if I strip this thing down to nothing,and waste the cost of body,and paint or what?dont know if it can be used for track only im wigg'n out .any thoughts,or suggestions would be helpfull,yea I know ive been takin,damn!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

You really need to check with your DMV so they can tell you the legal way of getting this done.
JMO

Cole
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

What Cole says. I'm a retired Cop and I can't see how you got it licensed w/o having a VIN inspection done. BELIEVE me, if the VIN plate is missing it is automatically considered a "possible" stolen vehicle (until proven not to be) and WILL be impounded by your local municipal Police or Highway Patrol. They won't let you take any of your parts off of it as they have no idea which parts were on it ....IF it is a stolen.

Get hold of the seller and tell him to meet you at your DMV or Police/Highway Patrol office to get this straightened out. If he refuses then that should give you a clue as to the legality of this car. Now, if he does refuse and before you call the cops I would remove all of my LEGALLY bought parts.....and only those parts and leave them at a Friends house. When the cops come out give them all the paper work you have, and the sellers name and address. They will look for the secondary VIN and if it's also missing they will impound the car, DON'T screw around with this stuff, it's a FELONY!! good luck
Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 PM
45woody

Last photo:

Yep thats what I thought,the aluminum dash he put in was built over vin place and unbelivably secured,he had the vin on title stamped on the A pillar,and on cowl/fire wall,and they did except that at inspection.when I did contact him he ripped my head off and said as is sale ,and its my problem now too bad live and learn.as if there were no steps I could take to get anything done about it.i do appreciate your help,this will be a very expensive lesson learned,i just dont know how they ever gave me new title and registration if there was any bad info on car,i have a ton of work ahead of me as I have replaced everything on this ride with my son.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

I totally agree with 327 nut. Now is the time to get this straightened out. If you just let it slide and at some point (say whe you want to sell it or if DMV pulls it over and does NOT accept the hand stamped number) you could end up losing everything.

If things go south on the car check with a lawyer, you may be entitled to recover from the seller (especially if he was the one who removed the original VIN or did the stamping on the A Pillar.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

2x..Do what ever it takes to get it straightened out.

This is why I fully documented my build. I went thru the state inspections, was nice to people that did not deserve nice, paid my tax and registration fees and went thru the title bond thing. I eventually received a state title and registration just like any other production car. I have to display a state plate and abide by those rules but I don't get stopped for messed up plates and violating operating restrictions.

The next build I will photograph parts along with invoices and make a hard cover book. It will just make things easier. It's all part of building a car.

My rule after what I went thru is that if it doesn't have a legal VIN and title, I don't even want to waste time looking at it. I buy very few parts at swap meets and require a signed bill of sale with address and phone number. Of late I even take a picture.

Even if you use a donor car it has to have a good VIN or don't use it.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

Iím a little less sympathetic right now, youíve known about the VIN issue for at least around a year, yet continued to work on the project.

Vin help 79 cam

This is an issue that should have been a show stopper until it was resolved. Regardless you need to start at DMV.

My advice is also to contact a lawyer and see what your recourse against the previous owner is should you not be able to get a good title for the car. If he was the one who stamped the VIN numbers (or paid someone to do it) to match the title, I would say that you have a pretty good case to recover damages......but that is for a lawyer/judge to say.

If you happened to buy the car with the current drivetrain and you just pulled it and rebuilt it, then it would need to stay in the car when it goes to DMV for inspection.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Psychomotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by runndmy
Purchased camaro,it got insp,and licenced,ins.beg an my build ie new powertrain,paint,interior,etc.17,000 into it didnt like aluminum dash,an d took it out,and what do ya know nothin but empty hole where vin plate should be.went in behind blower motor and scrambled vin does not match title.not even close.so what are options at this point,previous owner strongly denies any wrong doing(of course).dont know if I strip this thing down to nothing,and waste the cost of body,and paint or what?dont know if it can be used for track only im wigg'n out .any thoughts,or suggestions would be helpfull,yea I know ive been takin,damn!
I have to agree with 1957plymouthhemi. What were you thinking? You knew a year ago that it had a messed up VIN. The seller is an a55 hole and I hope he gets whats coming to him but I don't understand why you put all this money, time and labor into what is basically nothing. You cant even junk the car without a clear title. Sheesh.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.