VIN number location on 1935 Ford Roadster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

VIN number location on 1935 Ford Roadster

I have recentely inherited a 1935 Ford Roadster from my grandfather. He owned the car since 1940, I have the original bill of sale and many of the registration cards - 1953 - 1980. What I do not have is the pink slip. Appearantly it was stolen from his house with some other valuables about 10 years ago. I have been trying to get a new pink slip, but the DMV and I have not been able to find the numbers shown as the VIN on the registration anywhere on the vehicle. Does anyone know where those nubers could be? Did engine numbers get used for VIN numbers? Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Last photo:

Early 30's model Fords had the VIN number on the top frame rail drivers side right in front of the firewall and also the right rear top frame rail over the tire I think.

Here is what I found on the web

Other: From 1932 through 1948 vehicles, Ford Motor Company stamped the serial number into the top of the driver's side frame rail in three locations. This same number was also stamped into the top of the transmission-to-engine housing portion of the transmission. This location was visible when the floorboard and transmission cover plate were removed (click here for a picture example). Of the frame-stamped serial numbers, only the forward-most stamping was visible when looking down into the engine compartment (located between the front crossmember and the dash (firewall). The two other frame locations are visible only when the body is removed from the frame. The serial numbers were metal stamped with numbers/letters approximately 1/4" in height.

More information here

Best of luck getting it registered, California can be a real pain.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 06-03-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 PM

Last journal entry: rear end detail
Last photo:

On my 31 i had to pull body to see Vin # on the frame it was right under left front cowl section. I received a title but untill i seen numbers match i was a bit worried. States are changing titleing laws so even with a lost title you could build it and retitle it as a 32.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

WELCOME to Hotrodders.com

As a fellow Ford roadster owner and a Moderator, I want to be one of the first to WELCOME YOU.

I never owned a 35 Ford ( but I like them ) but what Vince said is the straight info. Here's a photo of the number on the frame of my 32 Ford. It is just at the firewall. I taped it up ... after the first coat of paint ... I did not want the number to disappear in with the paint.

Also ... the numbers were hand stamped and will not be in a perfect line

Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 PM

Thanks for all of the help!

Before I got the responses from you guys, I contacted the Nethercutt museum in Sylmar, Ca. They agreed with what you are saying - the number should be on the top of the frame, on the left front. After some substatial cleaning, I found it. I am going back to the DMV tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:43 PM

Im sorry I dont see where they are, is it where the grey strip is next to the little hole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

WELCOME to Hotrodders.com

As a fellow Ford roadster owner and a Moderator, I want to be one of the first to WELCOME YOU.

I never owned a 35 Ford ( but I like them ) but what Vince said is the straight info. Here's a photo of the number on the frame of my 32 Ford. It is just at the firewall. I taped it up ... after the first coat of paint ... I did not want the number to disappear in with the paint.

Also ... the numbers were hand stamped and will not be in a perfect line

Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderlad
Im sorry I dont see where they are, is it where the grey strip is next to the little hole?
Yes ...

The little strip is where the paint was not applied heavily

This is on a original 1932 Ford frame ...
After 60 or more years ... paint, rust and sometimes abuse make the numbers very difficult to see. I left mine visible ... because in my state ... the DMV will not issue a title for a vehicle that old unless they see the number on the frame.

I just went thru this same thing with my new project.
They would not issue a title without seeing the truck and the VIN number ... even when I had a valid ownership transfer from the Canadian owner and the import certified papers from the United States Government ... where I bought it into the US

It is a 1949 Mercury M-47 1/2 ton pickup ( available only in Canada ) .
Very similar to the Ford F1- pickup.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM

Cool thanks!!! Nice looking project!!! Since I might have someones attention one more question Do you happen to know if it in the same place on a 46' Ford sedan 2d? Again thanks sooo much!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Yes ...

The little strip is where the paint was not applied heavily

Old 08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have never owned a Early V8 Ford car made after 1940 ... but the VIN number sequence for a 1946 Ford ... is

100 HP models 99A-650,280 to 99A-1,412,709
90 HP models 1GA-227,524 to 1GA- 326,417

From a google search ... the numbers should be on the frame in a similar place on a 1946 Ford ... but as I said ... I have NO ACTUAL knowledge or experience with the 1946 Fords.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.