VIN plate replacement? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

VIN plate replacement?

Guys,

I just bought a 1936 Plymouth Coupe street rod with a home-made looking VIN plate. The VIN plate given to me is really just a thin strip of metal with a rough set of serial numbers punched in it. I do not believe the tag office is going to transfer the title and give me a tag with this VIN plate.

The car has a sbc and the original fire-wall has been replaced with a aluminum skin. I have looked all over the car and can not find another VIN plate on the car.

I have heard various stories of these cars never actually haveing a VIN plate. But then I heard they did but the numbers represeted the engine's serial number. But like I said my car has a sbc so that won't fly.

I also had heard about a company in GoodGuys magazine that sell Titles and matching VIN plates, but when I tried to call them they blew me off.

Can anybody help?

Dean Dalton
DeanDalton@aol.com
941-350-7109
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 PM

Vin Plate

Try and call this #1-800-464-3222 they may be able to help u. They help people get car titles all the time. Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanDalton
Guys,

I just bought a 1936 Plymouth Coupe street rod with a home-made looking VIN plate. The VIN plate given to me is really just a thin strip of metal with a rough set of serial numbers punched in it. I do not believe the tag office is going to transfer the title and give me a tag with this VIN plate.

The car has a sbc and the original fire-wall has been replaced with a aluminum skin. I have looked all over the car and can not find another VIN plate on the car.

I have heard various stories of these cars never actually haveing a VIN plate. But then I heard they did but the numbers represeted the engine's serial number. But like I said my car has a sbc so that won't fly.

I also had heard about a company in GoodGuys magazine that sell Titles and matching VIN plates, but when I tried to call them they blew me off.

Can anybody help?

Dean Dalton
DeanDalton@aol.com
941-350-7109
Many states used engine numbers instead of the VIN on older cars like that. It's a big problem if the engine is swapped. Many states also have state-assigned VIN tags on specialty constructed vehicles. Could this be one of those? You need to check with your local DMV (yeah, I know, good luck) to determine if that is what you have.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

My car has a VIN plate like that. It says something about it being issued from the State of Arizona DMV. It is applied by the state cops and is adhesive backed but has a place for pop rivets.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I think older cars such as yours went by a number stamped on the frame by the manufacturer back in the day. Your DMV can tell you what you need to legally register the car.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

1936 Ply

In 1936 P1and P2 Plymouths had a serial number plate on the right door post held on with two rivets.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:17 AM

Last journal entry: 46 Dodge frame
Last photo:

Give these guys a try...http://www.vintagsuk.com/
Or these..http://www.datatags.com/
Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

I'm with HH on the frame numbers. 'Somewhere' there should be numbers that match the last 6 digits, or maybe 5 or 4 digits of the VIN plate you have.

Have you researched VIN's of other '36 Plymouth's to determine if there is a rhyme or reason on mfr. date and location, etc?
"Dollars are like votes, except that they actually count."
Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM

VIN plate replacement

Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have been all over the car and can not find another VIN plate other than the home-made strip of metal the seller gave me. My tiltle is in good condition, is signed by a previous owner but is out my state.

I am hoping that the websites that RATVT gave me will help out.

Thanks again,

Dean
Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Last journal entry: 46 Dodge frame
Last photo:

To do my 39, they needed a picture of one for reference, hadn't done that year before. They actually are fairly easy to repop for early years and since you have title, shouldn't be a problem..Good luck..
Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:

Based on the info I found here

http://www.ply33.com/misc/vin

The serial number should be a string of 7 digits found on the right door post. The engine number might be stamped on the left frame rail in the vicinity of the rear wheel kick-up.

Like the site referenced says, they didn't have VIN's until the 50's. There were serial numbers, body numbers, and engine numbers. Some states registered the serial number and some registered the engine number.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Last photo:

Your out of state title will probably require a VIN certification to have it transfered to your name. You will probably have to go to a state inspection station to have the inspector make sure that your VIN matches the paper work you have. He will then issue a certificate which you take to your DMV office. I had to do something similar and it was not a problem. I took my car to a service station where there were young guys doing the inspection. They were more interested in asking me about the car and they just made sure the VIN plate on the frame (which I added) matched the paper work. I got my VIN verification certificate and went down to the DMV office and took care of it, no problem.

State's differ as to the procedure, so get online and educate yourself as not all state DMV employees know the process.

Vince
Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have been all over the car and can not find another VIN plate other than the home-made strip of metal the seller gave me. My tiltle is in good condition, is signed by a previous owner but is out my state.

I am hoping that the websites that RATVT gave me will help out.

Thanks again,

Dean
You have a title, and a vin plate. Attach the plate to the inside of the drivers door, go to dmv with the title in hand, you should be good to go. Most of the dmv people don't care as long as you have all the proper paperwork properly filled out, they only know their own state laws, will almost always accept a title as proof of ownership. Good luck.
Dan
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 AM

I was able to get my title!!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have a friend who is a notary and she pulled out a "VIN verification" form which she notarized after checking to see my home-made looking VIN plate numbers matched my title numbers.

I took the title and VIN verification form into my local DMV and was issued a new title in my name!

But...

I still want to have a better VIN plate fabricated. A.G. Backeast says he can make a proffesional looking VIN plate for me if he knew what one looks like to copy. At present all I have is strip of metal about a half inch wide with hand stamped numbers. Anybody have a 1936 Plymouth with a jpg of thier VIN plate they can e-mail me?

Dean
Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Last photo:

Quote:

I still want to have a better VIN plate fabricated. A.G. Backeast says he can make a proffesional looking VIN plate for me if he knew what one looks like to copy. At present all I have is strip of metal about a half inch wide with hand stamped numbers. Anybody have a 1936 Plymouth with a jpg of thier VIN plate they can e-mail me?

Dean
Go to a trophy shop near you and have a plate cut and professionally stamped with your VIN, it's relatively inexpensive. There are places online that can do that also with a silk screened official looking VIN plate.

Vince

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.