Vin tag rivets - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The rules vary state to state. I live in Missouri - I built my car with a new chassis and new body - there was no vin tag - I had to get one assigned by the state. When they attached it to my chassis, they stamped the rivets with a special stamp, embossing the head. In Missouri the Highway Patrol handles it.
Try giving your highway patrol a call, asking what you should do. You wouldn't want to find out later that they have a problem with how you handled it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

" I put the last one somewhere i wouldnt lose it and "

Still haven't found the one for my 71Nova.. It's been over 7 years!

One of my customers was the guy that did the repairs/mistakes of the VIN numbers at the Van Slyke GM truck plant. He had jars of spare rivets..
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM

I was on the HAMB this morning and saw a guy selling them. He wanted $50 for two. Seems like a bit of a ripoff to me. Dave
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Sorry but this is stolen car scam crap here !! 2 for $50 will get you 20 behind bars!! Also this is almost a 5 year old Thread!! COME ON MAN!!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I would definitely contact the DMV. Just because someone somewhere says "sure- we do it all the time- no prob!!", do not assume ANYTHING when removing/replacing a VIN tag! Sure- it will be more hassle, but in the end it will be well worth it IMO.

BTW, this thread likely showed up during a search. I believe the age of a thread makes no difference as long as the additional info is relevant.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

I just thought I'd throw out what federal law says about this. Basically OK, as long as it is being done for a repair and complies with state law.

18USC 511
(a) A person who—
(1) knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or
(2) with intent to further the theft of a motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(b)
(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).
(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—
(A) a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;
(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;
(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and
(D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by—
(i) the owner or his authorized agent;
(ii) applicable State or local law; or
(iii) regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to implement the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.
(c) As used in this section, the term—
(1) “identification number” means a number or symbol that is inscribed or affixed for purposes of identification under chapter 301 and part C of subtitle VI of title 49;
(2) “motor vehicle” has the meaning given that term in section 32101 of title 49;
(3) “motor vehicle demolisher” means a person, including any motor vehicle dismantler or motor vehicle recycler, who is engaged in the business of reducing motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts to metallic scrap that is unsuitable for use as either a motor vehicle or a motor vehicle part;
(4) “motor vehicle scrap processor” means a person—
(A) who is engaged in the business of purchasing motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts for reduction to metallic scrap for recycling;
(B) who, from a fixed location, uses machinery to process metallic scrap into prepared grades; and
(C) whose principal product is metallic scrap for recycling;
but such term does not include any activity of any such person relating to the recycling of a motor vehicle or a motor vehicle part as a used motor vehicle or a used motor vehicle part.
(d) For purposes of subsection (a) of this section, the term “tampers with” includes covering a program decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act for the purpose of obstructing its visibility.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 PM

Last journal entry: Dave's SS 396
Last photo:

I did what baddbob suggested.....using the rivets again. I had plenty of practice with the cowl I got from the wrecking yard.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:07 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

To me the safest bet would be to contact your DMV. VIN tags are often taken off, replaced and in some cases reissued depending on circumstances. Anytime I've had to tinker with VIN tags I first contact the DMV and depending where your located (I'm in Canada and our laws vary from Province to Province as laws vary State to State in the US). In some cases it was as simple as showing ownership with documentation and either a green light was given to replace the tag or I've had to contact the Motor Vehicle Fraud department of a local RCMP detachment, (replacing a cab on a truck) they cam out inspected the build prior to any replacement or movement, took notes and in the end gave me a replacement VIN tag after inspecting all other corresponding numbers to the vehicle.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 AM

I'm thinking I might just keep the old cowl, (with the VIN tag intact), and stash it in the attic!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Good idea, keep any and all pertinent information, documentation, parts, pieces and even pictures. For me, I hate playing the "woulda, shoulda, coulda" card anymore than I need too.

Ray
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

go to your RMV and get the ok in writing.. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!
I don't care where you live, you get stopped by highway trooper and he wants to question the vin, you don't want well the rmv said so. "you got that in writing sir?"
when the next guy buys it, be it a sale or a gift to offspring, you don't want trouble. court cost are huge and jails no fun. And if they question it, an you have nothing in writing, expect them to tow it, and go over every part. NOT matching # engine, do you have a reciept for it, with it's number on it? no, bye bye engine or whole car.. they don't play games with this..
GET WHATEVER THE RMV SAYS IN WRITING AND DOCUMENT THE BEFORE DURING AND AFTER WITH PHOTO'S
or chance loosing your car and your freedom..
Many states will look a car over thats been restored as stolen parts are a huge issue. being thats it was worth bringing a rot box back from the dead, expect any new owner to question epoxied vin if they find it.. and even if the car is what it says it is. if you didn't document it. you have a good chance of getting sued for fraud. even if the car is the real deal.
it's a convert chevelle, high demand you have a better chance of someone looking over the vin than the guy with an AMC rambler wagon as the demand for the car and worth just isn't there..
this is why I take photo's of the part(engine/trans/rear) at swap meat, or junkyard and put the date time where and when pos sellers name..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 05-31-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.