Vintage Air mounting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Vintage Air mounting

G'mornin' everyone,

I am looking for some inspiration here (or maybe just a little validation )-last weekend I hung my VA GenII a/c/heater assembly, and I have a problem-it's about 3/4" too thick, and my Dash won't bolt down at the bottom properly.

I think I have a few choices-

1. drop the a/c unit down about 4-5", re-mount (not sure how that would look).

2. modify the a/c Box (which Vintage Air does not recommend)-

3. Change the Dash (which is finished and I really don't wanna, but.......)-

So, I was wondering if anyone might have some pictures of the way that they mounted their a/c unit, problems addressed, how low, etc.-sorry that I don't have any pictures (should have taken some)-it looks great as it is now (as far as how it sits under the Dash, but maybe it is a bit high)-has anyone modified a VA unit?

If you would, would you please post a picture of your a/c unit? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 AM

Last journal entry: Finally some floor!
Last photo:

I'm sorry about your woes, but I will be watching this thread closely. I'm getting ready to start my Gen II install myself. Any words of wisdom? Bob
Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

How about a couple of pics showing how it looks now installed and what is obstructing it from behind.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Gosh, I would love to show a few pictures, but I won't be close to the Car until Saturday-basically, it is against the Firewall (to the front), and, of couse, the dash on the other side-
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I have an under dash VA unit with the heat and def option. To get a little more "push bach" under the dash I used copper tubing and standard copper fittings soldered. I routed the in and out lines from the heat as close as possible to the unit and down the right side. This alows the unit to be more permanently mounted and very close to the fire wall. Additionally the heater hoses are easily accessed from the side. Also I used the Easy Loc AC fittings rather than the traditionally crimp style. You purchase a special crimp tool for $45 and crimp the lock tabs yourself. A big plus is that the lines are much smaller and more flexible.....and less expensive.

Truck AC service places have these.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

It may be apples and oranges as Iím using a Hot Rod Air (now out of buisness) unit in my 83 El Camino. It was their universal setup and really tight, but itís in. It took several test fits to get the initial installation in the right place and clear everything. I did have to do some slight trimming in a couple of places on the underside of the dash (I had the dash on and off probably half a dozen times in the process).

In my case it was actually easier to modify and use the factory ducting than the included hoses. I did have to cut a piece of foam to act as a seal, but that was relatively simple.

It was still a bit tight, and the dash is bowed by probably 3/8Ē , but it is definitely not noticeable. I donít have a picture of it, but I also had to narrow the inside of the glove box down to about Ĺ the size, not a big deal as it was plastic and easy to work with.

Rather than use the HRA controls which I thought looked pretty ugly, I modified the factory controls to work the unit.

When all was said and done visually you canít tell that there is an aftermarket unit instead of the factory setup.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Not sure I understand your problem. I have installed VA in my 36 PU, my Buds 37 PU and a VA copy by Southern Air (BIG MISTAKE) in my 36 coupe and had no dash clearance problems. The 35,6, and 7 dash dimensions are identical. Looks as though you may have a custom dash. Never the less, you can lower the the unit as stated and build a drop down to reduce the impact. The drop down can be used to install switches, heat and air vents, control heads etc, and keep the dash from becoming cluttered with the same.

Trees
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 AM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone for your reply, I think I'm still going to have to do either option #1 or #2 (more likely #1)-

I set myself up for this one as I modified my Dash, but I am happy with it (the Dash). I have a Console in mind that I'm going to fab up in Metal, so if I drop it that will "hide" it-thanks again, and, as they say, "onward and upward"
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Not sure I understand your problem. I have installed VA in my 36 PU, my Buds 37 PU and a VA copy by Southern Air (BIG MISTAKE) in my 36 coupe and had no dash clearance problems. The 35,6, and 7 dash dimensions are identical. Looks as though you may have a custom dash. Never the less, you can lower the the unit as stated and build a drop down to reduce the impact. The drop down can be used to install switches, heat and air vents, control heads etc, and keep the dash from becoming cluttered with the same.

Trees

Trees,

Sorry, I was making my Post at the same time you were-you hit the nail right on the head! I have been fretting over the issue of where to put the controls, trying to decide whether to have a "drop down" under the Dash, or to make a console (not only to hide the a/c unit, but for the Vents and Controls)-I couldn't find an early Dash that I thought looked good with a "underdash" so to speak, so I turned to a console, and in a moment of creativity, came up with a design that I think will look fine.

I always thought that an a/c unit should be tucked up as far as possible (and it will), but I think it will work this way-

1957plymouthemi,
Thank you for taking the time to post those-they give me inspiration, and I don't have a problem with the venting (on which you did a great job, btw), it's just a little too thick-

again, thanks to all, I was just looking for someone to give me a different point of view or idea-
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Moving this to General Rodding Tech.

Dan

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

35, the console would help and could flare out to the door pillar, forming a small drop down. The small(narrow) cockpit area restricts the width of the console unless you are a very small guy. I am a wide body, and if my passenger is sort of the same, we fill the space and a generic console would get squeezed!!!!

Trees
Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
35, the console would help and could flare out to the door pillar, forming a small drop down. The small(narrow) cockpit area restricts the width of the console unless you are a very small guy. I am a wide body, and if my passenger is sort of the same, we fill the space and a generic console would get squeezed!!!!

Trees

Thanks, these old cars sure have limited space in them! I have a design in mind, and I have realized that it can't be very big or knee's and elbow's will be a-knockin'-

Thanks to everyone for responding to my unusual questions, I'll get 'er figured out, and your input sure helps!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 AM

Last photo:

Craig....I've got a real good friend at Lake Havasu, AZ who is a dealer for a bunch of hot rod mfg's including Vintage Air. He also installs the systems in everything you could imagine. If you email him some pics I'm sure he could give you some ideas....couldn't hurt.....Dave. GREAT guy!! Greg Bowden (928) 855-7005 www.uniquerods.com P.S. finally got to use my Ariens Platinum 30
Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I don't know why, but missed this at the beginning.

Here it is mounted behind the '31's dash during the early and tangled part of the wiring:

Everything was connected and checked out, waiting only to be charged It was about 1/3rd visible, but there was a small console with a stereo and the controls in front of it hiding the black box. The worst part of the install was running the big 2-1/2" discharge hoses:

The console and currently not being used:

But then I decided that with a roadster, it would not keep anything but my feet cool, so traded for a heater - figuring warm feet in Nov/Dec was a better option. Worse, the high mounts for the compressor and alternator virtually hid the way set back engine. At least I have an a/c system for the "next" car.

Dave W

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.