Vintage Air question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Vintage Air question.

Well, winter is around the corner and have a few projects lined up for my 35 Ford P/U. Thinking of putting in AC and have a question on the VintageAir Slimline and Slimline Mini units. Are these units self-contained - meaning do I have to do any engine bolt-ons, ie; compressor, etc.? Trying to keep the engine area as uncluttered as possible and "plumbing" to a minimum. It already has the Vintage Air heater/defrost unit installed and may just take it out and use one of the Slimline all-in-one units.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Well, obviously you'll need a compressor, drier, condenser, and refrigerant lines. Have you gone to their site? They have complete instructions in PDF format...

Russ
Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

plumbing is the same for all va units, the underdash unit is just smaller.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, just checked their PDF's. Looks like some add-ons. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

You will have a good many add ons, but even before you think of those, make good and sure that whatever evaporator you choose fits under the dash - that is a small car with limited space there, especially if it's already a driver. You also have to take into account the gauges and how they are wired for that limited space along with the 2-1/2 inch air distribution hoses as well as make sure the freon and water hoses fit. These hoses don't make tight turns. I did it on a '31 Ford, but it was a brand new build, pretty expensive and a fairly difficult part of the car project.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 AM

mockup evaporator

this is my first reply don't usually jump right in but this question relates to what I do for a living
I am a Vintage Air dealer and install A/C in muscle cars and hot rods for a living, also repair and update existing a/c in cars,not trying to sell anything just offer some advise
I would recommend finding a Vintage Air dealer in your area that has mock up units in stock to loan, there are four sizes one gen IV and three Gen III, Gen IV would be to big for you, I would think a Mini would do the trick
Secondly buy the book Vintage Air sells written by Jack (the owner) and read it a couple of times to get an idea of how a/c works,there is way more you need to know but this where to start
Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoraed View Post
this is my first reply don't usually jump right in but this question relates to what I do for a living
I am a Vintage Air dealer and install A/C in muscle cars and hot rods for a living, also repair and update existing a/c in cars,not trying to sell anything just offer some advise
I would recommend finding a Vintage Air dealer in your area that has mock up units in stock to loan, there are four sizes one gen IV and three Gen III, Gen IV would be to big for you, I would think a Mini would do the trick
Secondly buy the book Vintage Air sells written by Jack (the owner) and read it a couple of times to get an idea of how a/c works,there is way more you need to know but this where to start

I mostly agree - though have to say that you can make up your own mock up using the information found in the catalog rather then find a dealer. The Jack Chisenhall DIY book is a little dated, but there is good information. I'll agree that the GEN II Mini is a good choice for a small cab vehicle - and my earlier cautions about space still apply.

This was taken during the wiring and a/c installation:
Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM

I agree but

The gentleman who created the post really needs to get down to basics and Jack's book does that and no need to reinvent the wheel if you can get hold of a mockup case might be able to put a larger evaporator in than you thought which is always good

Cheers

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.