Hot Rod Forum banner

Vintage Electric cars.

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave57210 
#1 ·
If you didn't know, the electric car is nothing new. At the turn of the 20th century there were more electric cars on the road than gas ones.

I have had an interest in them for years and just lately I have had a fantasy about building an electric hotrod.

Don't know if I will ever be able to do anything with the fantasy but I sure would love to be driving one everyday to work, that would be too cool. But on a little search I came up with this page with some seriously cool stuff.

Check it out. Electric cars | Hemmings Daily

Brian

Reactions: bubba1955
#2 ·
an electric hotrod.
I was just thinking about this today...no kidding...imagining guys standing around an electric car at a car show. The hood is up. One guy says, "Man, what a motor!" Another says, "Yeah, check out those batteries."

I am not trying to be facetious, Brian, I'm just considering the mind shift. I mean, what does one admire on a motor? "Look at those windings!"

#3 ·
I was just thinking about this today...no kidding...imagining guys standing around an electric car at a car show. The hood is up. One guy says, "Man, what a motor!" Another says, "Yeah, check out those batteries."

I am not trying to be facetious, Brian, I'm just considering the mind shift. I mean, what does one admire on a motor? "Check out those windings!"
What's wrong with windings, I used to check them out when I had slot cars, 16d motor windings as opposed to 36d windings, lol, think I got them numbers right,fun days over 40 years ago on the big track in town. Just that word windings got me thinking,lol:D:D
Russ
Later gator

#4 ·
Bonneville Electrics

There are now classes at Bonneville to run electric powered. Ohio State U had a streamliner there a few years ago. It might have been the event USFRA puts on between the 2 SCTA events. A friend Moved a few years ago, He was building 'Electric VW.s and VW based electric kit cars. We traded the old "Indy Car" my kids used to race around the fields in, He and a partner were planning to take it to the Flats, The last time I saw it , the electric motor had replaced the 1600 the body repairs had been done from kids hitting fences

Attachments

#7 ·
If you didn't know, the electric car is nothing new. At the turn of the 20th century there were more electric cars on the road than gas ones.

I have had an interest in them for years and just lately I have had a fantasy about building an electric hotrod.

Don't know if I will ever be able to do anything with the fantasy but I sure would love to be driving one everyday to work, that would be too cool. But on a little search I came up with this page with some seriously cool stuff.

Check it out. Electric cars | Hemmings Daily

Brian
I remember during the 70" gas crisis crap there was a company near me that was converting VW rabbits to full electric.

#11 ·
Way back when - electric car batteries tended to be nickle-iron (not Nickle-metal-hydride or lead-acid)

They had a working life of up to 100 years. However, they have poor energy-density, they self-discharge at an astounding rate and cost a LOT to manufacture, so the (now) far more common lead-acid battery replaced them.

However, the nickle-iron batteries are more robust in terms of being able to take over-charging, severe discharging, and other abuses

A year or so ago, I had the privilege of touring a private car collection that contained a Detroit Electric that had banks of NiFe batteries that still worked very well, and were original to the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.