Vintage Gasser pics - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2003, 06:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Vintage Gasser pics

I don't know any of these folks or the site owner, but some of you scholars of ancient grease might enjoy the pics:
<a href="http://www.gassermadness.com/arteaga/" target="_blank">http://www.gassermadness.com/arteaga/</a>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2003, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

cool site thanks for showing it to us.
is it me or is the henry J just butt ugly
I know my dad likes em but I have never liked the way the looked even back then.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:35 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Cool

That a whole lot of WILLIES!

Todd
Old 01-31-2003, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

AWESOME CARS!
but well, i was just wondering what are the differences in the letters a/gs b/gs c/gs ? alchohol? blown? whatabout d/gs?
Old 01-31-2003, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

Sorry Lookatme, I don't know what the designations mean. Someone like Willys36 would know that.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:27 AM

sweet cars whatevr happened to those potvin systems they might be some untapped power in those blowers with fuel injection and all now!!
Old 02-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

The classes were started in the 50's when drag racing went from the streets to the old WWII air strips to get the returning GIs off street racing. Since cars were obvioulsy different and they needed a way to make heads-up racing fair, the newly formed sanctioning associations divided cars into classes by type of fuel, engine size, weight, and in some cases whether they were supercharged or not.

"G" second letter in a class desgnation stand for cars running on pump gasoline. They were supposed to be stock door slammers but you know how 'cheating' always ups the bar! "A" sewcond letter is for "Altered", in outhre words, "GG cars that have been modified to the point they don't fit into gas class anymore. "F" is for cars powered with Alcohol and/or nitro-methane.

To subdivide further, the gas classes were separeted byt frist letter designations into "A, "B", etc, clear down to "G" class. These letters applied to cars based on car weight divided by engine displacement. Thus "A" class might be 5#/cuin, "B" class 5.5#/cuin, etc. These weight breaks varied over the years and the #s changes as technology changed to keep things competitive so sometimes A/G was 5#/cuin, while other times it might be 5.25#/cuin.

This worked fine until enterprising ex-GIs started to install war surplus GMC diesel engine superchargers on their automotive V-8 engines in the mid 50s. These supercharged cars began making gobs more power than the normal 'gassers' and occasionally their terrible tires would hook up, the engine would stay together for the whole run, and they would blow the normally aspiriated cars off the track. Thus the sanctioning body to make things fair again (remember, this was to get kids off the street, not promote a $$$$$ sport), separated the supercharged cars from the rest with an "S" in the designation. Thus AG/S signifies a big engined, light weight car with a supercahrger while A/G is for the same type of car with injectors or a carburetor. G/G is for the 5000#, grocery getter wagon with the 2bbl, 292.

The gas classes turned into Willys classes because in hte late 50's early 60's, Willys were plentiful, dirt cheap and extremely light weight. That was years B4 the compact car revolution so the Willys were the only door slammers that could be made really fast under the rules. Also, the European cars (Fiats, Anglias, Austins, etc.) couldn't compete in the gasser classes because there was a 100" wheel base limit. Willys had 100" to 104" wheel bases while the Europeans were all too short. That is why they got their start in the Altered classes where wheel base isn't a criteria.

Later, they fooled with the letters coming up with AA/GS which was a fancy designation for pro AG/S cars. A/A is a hot altered car.

This is the only class in drag racing history that gave a separate class designation to cars with superchargers.

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 02-01-2003, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Willys,You hit it on the head about the old gasser classes,My car made it out of the 60's,it was a AA/GS car,Can see my car on page 138 of Don Momtgomery Supercharged Gas Coupes,That was a great time in drag racing history.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Ssaza. I'm in awe! You are a hero to me as are all old gasser guys in Don's book. I was on the sidelines watching and admiring for that entire time, dreaming of having a Willys gasser of my own. I bought my Willys in '65 but couldn't afford to race it. What you see in my Avatar is my dream mostly come true.

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 02-03-2003, 04:58 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Willys, thanks for the informative post. My 76 year young Bud was an old time B gasser. His quickest ride was a Henry J with a 409 and his last was a 67 Camero with a 427. He broke the 7 sec barrier against the national champ at the time (the third time he beat him in the finals in Winston Salem, NC and beat the ensuing protest each time). The "Chump" protested again but stormed off when my Bud accepted and protested back!!!. 6.93 sec does not sound like much today, but 35 years ago!!!! By the way, he drives a 70 Jimmy PU today with, guess what, a 383 stroker and he still like to hear the tires bark in all three gears!!

Rod On

Trees
Old 02-03-2003, 08:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Interestingly enough, B/gas was more competitive in the early to mid 60s than A/gas. Main reason was tires. If you built an A/gas car, it had too much power for the weight and the hard, narrow slicks would be overpowered and go up in smoke. Competitors had to add so much weight that their cars fell into the B/gas category and they actually went faster so that's where they raced them!
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM

gasser classification

Ouch, I`m oldenough to know about gassers., They were classed by weight to cubic inches,each class also had a supercharged designation. Sometimes the blower would jump you up a class sometimes not. Lots of little cars with humongus engines,not much in the way of brakes,short wheel bases,hairy rides to say the least. "C" gas 55 Chevy,327 /2 afb`s,it was Yellow...Jerry
Old 03-15-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmachine666
I know my dad likes em but I have never liked the way the looked even back then.
I had one, wished I had it back.I had it for racing but it grew on me.Now can`t afford one. Jerry Kelley
Old 03-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I'm too young to have seen them in person, but those straight-axle cars are awesome, from Willys (there's one abandoned a few miles from my home, it was a tow truck, I think the property is abandoned too) to '55 Chevrolets and early Chevy IIs.

Very interesting post, willys36.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmachine666
It's just you.
I love Henry Js, and Sears Allstates even. AWESOME cars.
If you don't like Henry Js you sure shouldn't be looking at a "gasser" site......?

AWESOME link!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.