Hot Rod Forum banner

Vintage headlite reflector painting or plating?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
Headlite reflectors on my 1948 Simca are real dull, lost plating, lost shine.

This car will Not be a street driver, it will be a drag car in a gasser style.. , I just want the reflectors to look decent through the glass lens.

Paint them with a spray can? I dont want to bust the budget on something that only needs to look decent through the lens

Photos of one reflector, I used a SOS pad on, I also tried some Wenol polishing liquid on same lens too.

You can see what looks like copper showing through on this , so I guess lens was chromed.

The top part of this lens is untouched by me. On the left was cleaned with SOS pad.... on right side I used the blue tube of Wenol

See less See more
#2 ·
I tried a few different spray can methods but they really just come out as a shiny silver finish.....which may work for you. If you go to youtube and type in Chrome paint finishing you'll see quite a few different application techniques. Jay Leno has a guy on there that has a 3 step type process that may be the thing you want, it really makes the parts look like chrome or as close as you're going to get.

#3 ·
silvering or powdercoating chrome will both work. The chrome powdercoat does NOT like to be handled. They normally put a clear over it, which changed it from chrome look to more like polished aluminum. I bet if the headlights are sealed, the chrome-look wouldn't need a clear anyway. talk to your local powdercoater. be mindful of the film build since you have to reassemble it

#6 ·
I repainted some older tail light housing in the same condition. I sprayed them a bright silver and I am using these on the street. They are very bright and there are no problems seeing them.
You are using this on a drag car.................just spray them either bright silver or white..................do not powder coat something when you can finish it for the price of a can of paint.

#7 ·
I've used the "Fake" chrome spray paint in tail light housings and front driving/turn signal housings, and it seems to work there, and have seen white used there also, white seems to make a softer, more diffused glow.

I don't know if white is going to look good in a head light application compared to something at least trying to be reflective(fake chrome or bright silver)

#10 ·
#11 ·
I had some gloss white paint here. Tried that first. Did not look quite right behind the clear headlite lens.. Behind a red lens on tail lite, I bet that would work very nice

bought some Valspar metallic paint in silver. Looks good.

Thanks for the help

#12 ·
Too late now, but I was going to recommend polishing them with Mothers paste polish. The reflectors on my old Austin gasser looked like yours also. I used Mothers paste and they came out really looking great! I could still see some thinning areas, but since the reflector was so shiny they were impossible to see through the glass when it was assembled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.