Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vintage Lincwelder 180amp vs Hobart 110v Ideas, opinions, etc wanted
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
How thin of metal have you guys 'stick' welded? I don't plan on pop cans, but new floors for my Jeep are in the plans for this, and frame repair for a vintage Allis Chalmers garden tractor (model B10)Matt

IF that thing stills runs good it might make a decent small stick welder but from the age and apparent condition I would suspect current control problems linked to engine control issues. Unless you really enjoy working on something like this as much as working with it you might want to consider another welder, still if it does operate properly and does not lose a lot of power on the initial arc start (the usual problem with these old engine driven machines) it may be useful.

Now about that Jeep floor, don't even think of trying that with a stick welder! I am not saying it can't be done BUT trust me it takes extreme talent and extremely good welding equipment to do it.