Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vintage Lincwelder 180amp vs Hobart 110v Ideas, opinions, etc wanted
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMacs
L However I am restoring a welder of such vintage so to say they are "junk" isn't true.

I didn't mean that those machines were junk, far from it, those old engine driven generator type welders produced a very smooth current and were very rugged and reliable. That one however looks to be rather dilapidated with a few parts missing, That thing would be an excellent small stick welder both to use and to just have as a valuable antique but they can be very cantankerous to get set properly and VERY expensive to obtain parts for. If the engine is still capable of making nearly full power and if the governor assembly is still intact and working properly and if the generator windings/bearings, etc is still sound then it may be usable but that's a lot of ifs and as I said it could take a lot of money and effort to make a usable welder out of this thing. Worth it? You bet it is if that's what a person wants but to expect much in the condition it's in now would be chancy at best.