vintage mag wheels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

vintage mag wheels

Does anyone here recognize these wheels? they have Cragar center caps, but no name on the wheels themselves at all. I've never seen a Cragar anything like these, so caps may well be added later. they are 14x7 aluminum and have 16 spokes. I was told they were purchased around 1978, but not even positive on that. I plan to sell them before long, but would like to know more about them first.

Thanks,
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040834.jpeg
Views:	1542
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	69940  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Great looking car...as far as the wheels go, and I could be wrong but, they look like a turbine wheel that came out on Corvettes of the mid to late 70's...like I say, I could be wrong.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Great looking car...as far as the wheels go, and I could be wrong but, they look like a turbine wheel that came out on Corvettes of the mid to late 70's...like I say, I could be wrong.
They are similar, except these are 14" and have 16 spokes, where the Vette wheels were 15" with 15 spokes I believe (same as Western Cyclone II?)

The car is one I just bought to resto-store. it's a really nice 50 footer right now

Russ
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

So, I guess I was was right when I said I might be wrong...(sounds like something my wife might say in an argument). Still a beautiful car, sorry I can't be of more help. Now that I look at your your original post...I should have realized, when you posted 14 inch wheels.

A little off topic, but, what are you planning for your Vette?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
So, I guess I was was right when I said I might be wrong...(sounds like something my wife might say in an argument). Still a beautiful car, sorry I can't be of more help. Now that I look at your your original post...I should have realized, when you posted 14 inch wheels.

A little off topic, but, what are you planning for your Vette?
No worries. I appreciate the effort.

I'll be stripping the very poor quality blue paint off and spraying bc/cc Maroon or black cherry. interior will get touched up a bit, although it's pretty good already. current 64 Chevelle 283 engine will be replaced with a pullout 90 Vette TPI 350 engine. and the wheels will be replaced.
I just began a blog on the corvetteforum titled "end of the world 62 build" (only one more day to go. I better get busy )

Russ

Last edited by Northstar T; 12-20-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelin
Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 AM
hold my beer and watch this!

Last photo:

My buddy had those wheels on his 74 Chevelle back in the early 80's. I think they might have been American Racing??
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hey Russ, 62 is my favorite year for Corvette, I just about owned one in the early 70's, I was trying to buy a 37 Chevy 1/2 ton and a 62 Corvette at the same time and both the guys that owned the vehicles had the same last name...My mother took a message from "some guy named Wolfe said that he accepted your offer"...I was closer to the deal on the 1/2 ton and phoned him and said, so you accept my offer ($117.50), he reluctantly said yes so I bought the truck...I found out 3 weeks later it was the guy with the Corvette that had phoned me and when I asked him about the car he told me that he had called but I never phoned back and he sold it. One of those deals that I'm still kicking myself for assuming. But, I did get a killer 37 Chevy.

I now have a 59 that's been tucked away for years that I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet...I'll get to it in the next 2 years but it's #'s matching and all there so it will probably be a frame off back to original.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you but don't let go of the 283 easily, good ones are getting hard to find.

If you need any help or information when it comes time to do your paint and body or just want input let me know and I'll be happy to offer any advice I can.

Hope somebody Id's the wheels for you.

Ray
Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Western Cyclone II
ARE Hurricane II
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Western Cyclone II
ARE Hurricane II
That was my first thought also, but definitely not Western. small differences, but not Cyclone II . I was digging around in a box of receipts that came with the car, and ran across a receipt from 1978 for "(4) 4712-34 Lonestar 16 fin" $100.00 from Six Robblees' inc. there is a wheel company called Lonestar, but the company is only 5 years old, so that can't be the same company. The receipt doesn't actually say "wheels" but the "16 fin" and being from Six Robblees is pretty convincing evidence. I'd still like to know more about these wheels if anyone has more reliable info.

Russ
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

.. Similar to 15" Western Wheels I put on my '77 GP back in '76... no idea how many spokes... can't remember if some fins between the lugnuts... I picked Western over other brands of that turbine style because the fins came all the way out to the edge of the wheel... BA Barracas/Mr. T/A-Team van has same ones... they look good and period on that 'Vette...

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 12-26-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

"I love it when a plan comes together"
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar T View Post
That was my first thought also, but definitely not Western. small differences, but not Cyclone II . I was digging around in a box of receipts that came with the car, and ran across a receipt from 1978 for "(4) 4712-34 Lonestar 16 fin" $100.00 from Six Robblees' inc. there is a wheel company called Lonestar, but the company is only 5 years old, so that can't be the same company. The receipt doesn't actually say "wheels" but the "16 fin" and being from Six Robblees is pretty convincing evidence. I'd still like to know more about these wheels if anyone has more reliable info.

Russ
Russ;

Google AKH wheels. Thats where I got NOS caps for my Dads 55 chevy with Ansen Sprint IIs (caps push into the wheel and are just an interference fit, no screws). The guy also had the Ansen specific bolts and uni-lug washers I needed. If anyone knows, its him; his collection of steel and aluminum wheels is MASSIVE
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Russ;

Google AKH wheels. Thats where I got NOS caps for my Dads 55 chevy with Ansen Sprint IIs (caps push into the wheel and are just an interference fit, no screws). The guy also had the Ansen specific bolts and uni-lug washers I needed. If anyone knows, its him; his collection of steel and aluminum wheels is MASSIVE
AKH Vintage Wheels - Vintage Rally, Styled Steel, and Alloy Wheels
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Russ;

I've looked there, but didn't see any exactly like I have. I notice that even the common Cyclone and Hurricane wheels apparently only came in 15", where mine are 14 x 7.
Perhaps I'll contact AKH and see if I have some rare, high dollar, collectable
All 5 of these wheels are in pretty much perfect condition, but I'd like to trade them off for some Torque thrusts if AKH was interested in something like that.

Thanks for the assist,

Russ
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM

did you see the mags from the new "A" team movie with Rampage Jackson as Mr.T

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.