Hot Rod Forum banner

Vinyl and plastic trim paint ??

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the vinyl and interior plastic trim paints on the market? I have a set of white bucket seats that I want to change to dark green. They are vinyl with a cloth center strip. The backings are plastic. Would I need different paints for each surface? How well does it adhere and last?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Mar-Hyde (div of Bondo) makes a very good vinyl dye for the plastic and vinyl parts, the cloth will need a dye for nylon or dacron. The vinyl dye lasts quite long if the seat is prepped correctly, but will eventually wear off the piping and edges. Check previous posts, you will find other brands and ideas.

#5 ·
old91 said:
Do a search for SEM also. They have a separate plastic prep and vinyl prep.

Thay have all kinds of colors and will send you a chart (free??) Matching fabric dyes (spray), I believe.

Seth
Just for possible paint compatibility issues, Valspar does not own Krylon. Sherwin Williams owns both Krylon and Dupli-Color, so I TRY to stay within brands. However, I have found the Plasti-Cote Plastic Filler/Sandable primer to be an excellent product under anything.

Seth

#6 ·
This is the best stuff I've ever seen for dying Vinyl and/or leather.
ColorBond It has more colors than just about anyone else and just like the other brands mentioned it is very durable.

Centerline

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.