Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vinyl skin?
Thread: Vinyl skin?
View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2008, 03:04 PM
DanTwoLakes's Avatar
DanTwoLakes DanTwoLakes is offline Moderator
Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Age: 67
Posts: 6,597
Wiki Edits: 22

Thanks: 0
Thanked 357 Times in 308 Posts
Yes, you are talking about the two texture painted ( I would call it more of a pebble finish) metal pieces that attach at the rear of the armrest, and then go up and curve back from the armrest. The ones for the Cutlass weren't going to match the new vinyl of the seats and the rest of the trim, so I covered them in the new vinyl, too. I mistakenly uploaded pictures of the lower armrest. I don't have any pics of the upper pieces.

Find a wire wheel attached to a bench grinder and take off all the old coating. Then you have a couple choices. One is to repaint them with texture paint. Planet color offers a texture paint something like the original. I'm sure any good painter could duplicate the pebble finish that was on them originally. CLICK HERE Or, you glue new vinyl onto the clean metal pieces with high temp contact adhesive. You could even put some 1/8" closed cell foam over them first.

If you decide to paint them, take a better picture and post in the Body-Exterior section.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Reply With Quote