Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Vinyl top first timer (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/vinyl-top-first-timer-230311.html)

MMBrodeur 03-04-2013 09:20 AM

Vinyl top first timer

Hi this is my first time posting here and would really love to have some help or guidance on how to install a vinyl top on my own possibly with pics. A few questions I have would be how to strip off the old one and prep the roof then installing the new one and finally how to choose a style of vinyl.

astroracer 03-04-2013 10:45 AM

How old is the current vinyl? I'll bet when you start stripping it you will find a ton of rust under it. My suggestion would be to strip it off, find out what you have and go from there. Myself... I would strip it, fix it, and repaint. Forget the vinyl.
Mark

MMBrodeur 03-04-2013 12:26 PM

Its a 1969 Lincoln continental sedan 4 door I'm the second owner and I really love the vinyl top look I want to try my best to replace it

MARTINSR 03-04-2013 05:06 PM

First off you want to post this in the "interior" forum, I know it's exterior and it's body and all but it's more of an interior like project and if you were to have it done that is exactly who you would call just as you would for a convertible top, an interior shop.

I am with astroracer there IS going to be rust repair, around the windows especially. So get the plan ready with a garage where the car can be a while, this may not be a quickie project, most likely you are going to have to pull the front and rear glass and do some rust repair and paint those areas before you can put a new vinyl top on.

Brian

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 03-04-2013 06:21 PM

Be prepared to pull front and rear glass then refinish the top metal to paint quality surface. Then take it to a profrssional trim shop for a new top install.

Two things that really look like crap are. Amature convertable top install, headliner and amature vinyl top install. Any one of which can make all the work involved a waste of time/money and kill the value of the car.

Search the archives of this site. I have posted somewhat detailed top install directions in the past. If you insist on punishing yourself.

DanTwoLakes 03-04-2013 06:34 PM

First of all, this is not vinyl like is on your car seats, it is a special vinyl to withstand being on the roof of your car. The top usually has two seams on it that are sealed to prevent leakage. The seams are there, because Landau topping is normally 49" wide and won't cover the entire roof in one piece. Landau Vinyl Roof Covers This is not an easy job, and is best left to a professional with the right glue, equipment, and experience.