violent steering wheel shake - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

violent steering wheel shake

a buddy of mine has an old willy's with a new 6.1 hemi and a mustang power rack and pinion.if you start the car and even touch the steering wheel it smashes back and forth wildly.i swear it would break your arm if you tried to stop it.i think it has to do with the pressures in the rack from the dodge pump.the mustang rack i hear is only supposed to have 800 psi and the dodge pump is probably more but has anyone ever seen it as bad as i have described.thanks a bunch .i am new on here but you will be hearing from me alot.i am doing a 69 spitfire with a 347 stroker ,t5 and a 8.8 in a custom frame and suspension.i just found this site and it looks great.thanks again.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I have always wondered what it is that makes a guy run the pump that came with the motor instead of using the proper pump that matches the rack and making a bracket or two to mount it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 AM

Last photo:

Steering

Check the connections on the rack, they might be reversed?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 AM

already reversed them as he was told they were reversed at the beginning and causing the problem but it does the same thing.this fella has built many hotrods and when i say built i mean a 36 hemi powered dodge from a clean sheet of paper ...frame and body(all steel..if it aint steel it aint real) included.he is a metal genius and has the english wheels and all the tools as one would expect to do such a project.myself i am a metal fabricator by trade so if was as easy as building a bracket it would be done already.neither one of us has ever seen this type of thing before.the steering wheel literally goes from side to side so fast that it would break your hand if ya grabbed it.the pump is mounted to the block in these motors and has a serpentine belt and does not need to be replaced just the pressure lowered if possible and as we all know anything is possible...impossible just takes a little longer.what i need to know is has anyone ever seen this type of thing before and what was done to fix it? thanks a bunch.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The guys who run sbc with an MII rack use a restrictor to alter the flow..Methinks the valve in the rack may be defective though so if you have another rack try that..

Sam
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Has he bled the PS system completely? DSE and Billet Specialties both make a flow/pressure reducing fitting that goes in the pump outlet.

Russ
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
Has he bled the PS system completely? DSE and Billet Specialties both make a flow/pressure reducing fitting that goes in the pump outlet.

Russ
can't bleed what ya can't touch.seriously though YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH the steering wheel and it goes freakin nuts.it did it with another rack aswell so it is not the rack problem.it is a pump issue i am sure but what to do about it.it is not a chev pump it is a NEW dodge(6.1 hemi)pump so no idea how to mod the inside.anybody running this exact combo? he doesn't want to use an outside regulator but i have tried to tell him too.he doesn't do computers so i am posting this for him.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM

pump

i have a chevy pump on both my motors and a Ford rack. mount a chevy pump and see if it cures the problem. Then you'll know if you can or can't use the dodge pump. Your motor won't know what pump it has.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:18 PM

this is a new style motor with a dodge pump ATTACHED to the motor.mounting another pump is a huge endevour and probably not feasable within the constraints and not going to happen.actually guys i am interested in hearing from someone (if there is one out there lol) who has the same setup.again it is a 2011 dodge 6.1l hemi with a mustang2 power rack.i appreciate your responses and changing stuff out would work with an old school setup but not this one.i spoke to the owner a few minutes ago and he has managed to bleed the system better without the motor running and it is not as violent but i am telling him to get a regulator but he is a stubborn fella sometimes and hasn't seen the light yet.i think i will let him get to that decision on his own as i don't think he will listen to me.i am 47 and he is about a million or so and has his own way of doing things...get the picture.lol just tryin to help him out.i don't know why he is so dead set against a regulator.he says he's gonna take the pump apart and see if he can reduce the pressure inside the pump.more power to him.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

There is a few different pressure relief fittings that go into the port for the pressure line fitting on the rack.
I got a ranger rack a while back and it was a different style compared to what came fom the old one as the instructions warned about saving the one from the original, in case the upgrade was not in the box.
Rangers have an issue after so many miles and years where the wheel shakes pretty badly , but only when trying to turn. I have had many in the past few years with that problem.
I put Lucas PS treatment in one and after a day it cured it nicely . Seems counterintuitive that thicker Oil, which would raise the pressure, would actually cure the problem . Chances are a fluid change about 5 years ptior would have helped here. After all even fluid wears out
Not having one bled out can cause an issue also, but I am sure you bled it as per instructions.
Any possibility that you can change the pressure valve tension in the back of the pump?
When you unscrew the line is there another fitting in the pump?
If so, you could try a lighter spring behind it or a heavier spring or maybe shim it up if you cant find a lheavier one.
Chances are you need a lighter one. That may not even help. Just a Thought.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

powersteering
This may help...or not
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The mod to the piston from what I gather will increase the pressure by adding shims, by grinding some off the spring, I would think you could decrease the pressure.
You will need to be sure and gring the spring squarely, or if there are shims, remove them.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.