viper coupe lines not lining up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

viper coupe lines not lining up

Does anybody here know vipers?Im doing one for a customer well it had aftermarket bumpers on it & I pulled the rear & put an o.e.m. bumper in the back & it fit like a glove,customer then orderd me a front bumper cover from someone that makes them.I took it out of the packaging,it had scratches through out it,chips, just real poor quality & what paint runs etc.
Well I put it on & the bolt holes all lined up but there's a gap the body line from fender to fascia...weill just look @ the pix

they sure ain't new

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Very common with some aftermarket manufacturer's. One would think that if they have the stones to make a part for a high end car like a Viper, they could take the time to make sure that the part fit. Has there been any front end damage on that car Cut...the pictures have a nasty glare and it's a bit difficult to see the entire problem.

I will say that the aftermarket overall has gotten better when compared tot he first parts that came out. I remember the 73 to 80 Chevy 1/2 ton front fenders that came out in the early to mid 80's...Un-Freakin-Real. They looked great, many shops would jamb the fender before trying it on the truck...I've seen fender's 2 inches too short...the door gap was good on top way out in the center and...where the hood was supposed to be flush with the fender....2 inches too short...brought in a Chevy fender...the aftermarket was 2 inches shorter...LOL, does anybody else remember those fenders?

So, yes, there are still aftermarket problems...if I had a Viper...I don't think aftermarket would be an option for a high end sports car like that.

Just My Opinion.

Ray
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Ill try to snap some tomorrow the co who made it is called exotic auto panel or something like that anyways called allday no answer.From what I read online the guy makes crap&usually blames the customer & usually only offers a small portion of a refund so the customer might just eat it though he already owes me on it so if he gets an oem then Ill fit itI told him Id be scared even if the guy would send a replacement to touch it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Very common with some aftermarket manufacturer's. One would think that if they have the stones to make a part for a high end car like a Viper, they could take the time to make sure that the part fit. Has there been any front end damage on that car Cut...the pictures have a nasty glare and it's a bit difficult to see the entire problem.

I will say that the aftermarket overall has gotten better when compared tot he first parts that came out. I remember the 73 to 80 Chevy 1/2 ton front fenders that came out in the early to mid 80's...Un-Freakin-Real. They looked great, many shops would jamb the fender before trying it on the truck...I've seen fender's 2 inches too short...the door gap was good on top way out in the center and...where the hood was supposed to be flush with the fender....2 inches too short...brought in a Chevy fender...the aftermarket was 2 inches shorter...LOL, does anybody else remember those fenders?

So, yes, there are still aftermarket problems...if I had a Viper...I don't think aftermarket would be an option for a high end sports car like that.

Just My Opinion.

Ray
Going off topic here but, in the late 70's my shop had a contract with the local RR repairing their yard trucks....all GM. I'd go through probably at least a dozen OEM fenders, door skins, and box sides easily a year. When I first started ordering them they came in good shape. The dealer saw the volume I was doing and started stocking a good volume of them. Funny thing - they all started showing up damaged. Talked to the dealer about it and he said that's the way it was.

One day I needed a fender and he didn't have any. Called another dealership, they had one in stock and picked it up. Opened the packing at the dealership and it was perfect. Told the guy my predicament with the other dealer and the volume I was doing. Come to find out the other dealer was ordering damaged seconds at a great discount but no added discount to me, and didn't even tell me they were damaged seconds.

I didn't say anything to the other dealer. About a week later he calls me and says he's putting in an order to GM and wanted an estimate of the volume I'd be doing. Told him probably 18-20 of each - which was true. Said he'd order them and have them on hand. What I didn't tell him was that all my business was going to the other dealer. When they came in, he called to let me know. Told him I found out about his game and I was taking my business elsewhere. Always wondered how long he sat on them....
The Following User Says Thank You to AirwolfPJ For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirwolfPJ View Post
Going off topic here but, in the late 70's my shop had a contract with the local RR repairing their yard trucks....all GM. I'd go through probably at least a dozen OEM fenders, door skins, and box sides easily a year. When I first started ordering them they came in good shape. The dealer saw the volume I was doing and started stocking a good volume of them. Funny thing - they all started showing up damaged. Talked to the dealer about it and he said that's the way it was.

One day I needed a fender and he didn't have any. Called another dealership, they had one in stock and picked it up. Opened the packing at the dealership and it was perfect. Told the guy my predicament with the other dealer and the volume I was doing. Come to find out the other dealer was ordering damaged seconds at a great discount but no added discount to me, and didn't even tell me they were damaged seconds.

I didn't say anything to the other dealer. About a week later he calls me and says he's putting in an order to GM and wanted an estimate of the volume I'd be doing. Told him probably 18-20 of each - which was true. Said he'd order them and have them on hand. What I didn't tell him was that all my business was going to the other dealer. When they came in, he called to let me know. Told him I found out about his game and I was taking my business elsewhere. Always wondered how long he sat on them....
I love it...it's the old "screw me, no no, Screw you". So many people don't understand simple marketing...I've had the privilege on more than one occasion of speaking to students that have recently enrolled in marketing courses in different University's and Colleges in several Cities across Canada. The first thing I do after I introduce myself is ask them a question. The question is "Who is the hardest customer to get"...in over 20 years of doing this, I have never gotten a right answer...and the answer is so simple, the hardest customer to get is the one you lost.

The first rule of marketing, in my opinion, should be, look after your existing customers before you go looking for new ones...again, simple, if you can't look after the ones you have, how are you going to look after the ones you get. The sad part is that what happened to you "AirwlfPJ" is that I would bet that you weren't the only one it happened to and that the dealership (or the parts department) kept on doing it. If ownership condoned this type of behavior, they don't deserve to be in business, if they found out about and didn't resolve the issue, they don't deserve to be in business. If they never found out about and their business kept dropping off, then they didn't care enough about the business to find out why and...they won't be in business.

Thanks for your story, I love those...I've seen that you read a lot of threads and posts, however, you don't post all that often, when you do, what you have to say is well thought out...you strike me as that quiet guy that is very methodical...for anybody not on the up and up...that personality trait you posess should scare the crap out of them...LOL

Ray
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

Thank you.....I think. lol I guess being methodical has always been one of my traits. However, I don't think I've ever had the "screw me - screw you" philosophy. I do not have a problem letting someone screw themselves after putting one over on me though.

Back to topic. Aftermarket parts are a hit or miss scenario. The adage of getting what you pay for used to hold true. Not so much anymore. I use the internet quite a bit to research aftermarket products before I shell out the cash. Even then, I'll always check out their return policies.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Please don't take it the wrong way...I did mean it as a compliment in the terms of they got what they had coming to them...and yes, they did screw themselves.

True on the aftermarket parts or anything really, what ever you purchase is only as good as the person or company you buy it from....I've seen companies that sell aftermarket parts from different vendors and if one particular part doesn't fit properly, they stop selling it and look after their customer.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.