Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Virginia - Antique plates vs. regular registration
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
There are no emmission tests in the Richmond area. Can't say about Tidewater or around DC.
Ah, I know for sure that NoVA and Tidewater require testing, I assumed Richmond did also. In any case, the O.P.'s 1975 truck is exempt.

The other thing I should have mentioned is that if you legitimately own or operate on a farm, you can get Farm Use plates, which have their own set of rules, some easier, some harder than regular plates.

Here are some useful links:

VA DMV vehicle services

VA Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual

From that inspection manual, note the following under Section 80, Service Brakes:

Quote:
B. A minimum of two wheels or two wheels and drums, one front and one rear, must be removed from each passenger and multipurpose vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or less at the time of inspection, except those listed in subdivisions 1, 2, and 3 of this subsection. Two front wheels or two front wheels and drums must be removed from vehicles listed in subdivision 3 of this subsection.
1. Motorcycles.
2. A new model vehicle is defined as a vehicle that has not been titled or leased and is less than one year old, measured from October 1 as of each year; if such motor vehicle does not have a model year, such measurement shall be made from the date of manufacture.
3. Trucks with floating axles that require seal replacement upon removal of rear wheels.
So per the manual, if the truck has a floating axle, they need to remove both front wheels for inspection, but not the rears.