Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Virginia - Antique plates vs. regular registration
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I appreciate the feedback, but I think some of you are reading more into my question than is necessary. I am not asking anyone to ignore the rules or pencil whip an inspection.

- The truck has passed inspection every year in Texas for the last 7 years and I'm not aware of any existing problems. Tires and brakes are new and I have always replaced wear items as they cause problems. The inspector mentioned ball joints as an example of an item that would cause failure of the inspection, but never actually looked at them. I often got a similar reaction from inspectors in Texas, who seemed to start out expecting the vehicle to fail just because it was old.

- Most inspection stations in Northern Virginia are used to working with Hondas, Toyotas, etc., and maybe a few of the newer pickups. The guy at the inspection station admitted that he knew very little about inspecting a classic vehicle, let alone one that was a HD 3/4 ton truck. He finally got out his inspection book and was letting me read through the requirements.

- I have two other vehicles, and I participate in a program that reimburses me if I use public transportation to go to work. It would be a very unusual event if I ever drove the truck to work. I don't think antique vehicle plate restrictions will be a problem, but have always used regular plates in the past.

Now back to my original question. Can anyone recommend a shop somewhere within a reasonable distance of Alexandria, VA that would have experience in inspecting an "antique" truck? I registered the truck today with antique plates, but I would prefer to have a valid state inspection sticker (which is not required with antique plates). However, I would like to have an inspector who has more experience with this type of vehicle.

Bruce