Hot Rod Forum banner

Virginia Drivers of Blown Cars

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Flywhel 
#1 ·
I was not sure where to ask this question, as it will only pertain to Virginia drivers of Hot Rods with either Tunnel Rams or Blowers. I am really interested in the Virginia drivers with blown engines.
I asked this question just last Friday, as it was that same day that I found myself over an embankment due to a vehicle stopped in the middle of the road, in a turn, with snow and ice some 4 inches. So when the State man rolled up I immediatley turned the conversation to Hot Rods which he and I had a common intrest.
My Question: I am building a 1963 Chevy II Nova SS and it will have a Big Block Chevy with a Blower on top. The set up will stick out of the hood about 12 to 15 inches, but it will not be a part of the hood, it will be apart of the engine. Can I run this on the street without it being "Todd's ticket day" every time I have the car out.
His response was.... If you run Normal Tags you will get a ticket. If you run Antique Tags you may take the car to a show or take it out to test a new part or a new agustment, but you can not take it out when ever you want to without lying to the officer. You may want to talk to DMV.
I already did that and they say that and they say that I should be able to run the car with some kind of provision, talk to the Virginia State Police. As discussed above, did that.
I have been to too many shows and I have seen many, many blown Virginia cars with Normal Tags and Antique Tags running their cars.
My question to you guys and gals is how are you doing it in Virginia and please clue me in and keep me out of trouble. I would hate to put $ 45,000.00 to $ 60,000.00 into this car to end up not being able to drive it at all on the street. Please Help!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.