Virginia Driver's of Blown Cars - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Super Sport Freak

Wiki Edits: 0

Virginia Driver's of Blown Cars

I have been to many car shows and I see Virginia drivers with Normal Tags and Antique Tags driving their cars on the street. I have talked to the VADMV and the Virginia State Police and can not get a clear answer on this question: I am building a 1963 Chevy II Nova SS with a Big Block Chevy and it will have a Supercharger on top. This set up will stick above the hood some 12 to 15 inches, can I run this set up.
How are you other Virginia driver's running your blown rides without getting ticket's and hassles? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2004, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

I have driven in Va with no problems with reg Plates and a blower out the hood, I am 1 hour from the Va line and drive to Va Beach area. We have been to Richmond with out being pulled.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Super Sport Freak

Roys63,
I am at the opposite side of Va. I am 15 minutes to the Va WVa state line. I have talked to some of the state inspection stations and as an example one of the stations got in trouble with the State Police because he passed a car that had a Tach installed outside of the car on the drip rail. State Police said it was over 2" and obstructed the driver's view.
Hell I had a 1967 Big Block Chevelle with a tunnel ram on it. I know looking at the pictures that it was at least 10" above the hood. I believe then that I took it to the Sherriff's Office in town and he said he had no problem with it and I was never harrassed.
I just don't want to sink 40,000.00 to 50,000.00 in this 63 Nova and then can't tack it for a ride without paying a ticket. Thanks for your response Roys63.
FLYWHEL
Old 10-24-2005, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

blower ht

Hello
I am glad to see this tech question. I am building a 63 vette as a street/strip car and I also am afraid of the overall ht.
I have been to a street rod national event , some big cruise events, talked to the MTO and other hot rod guys. Years ago I worked with a blower guy and even talked to him
I have been told a few things. The MTO won't give anything other than what the manual in front of them states, some guys say watch out but, what I have basically heard is :
if you are an idiot driving, you will get hassled.
A high dollar car does not attract as much bad attention as an import..
There are so many cars out there like this already, that you can fight this on a precedent rule
I still don't know what to do.
I live in Ontario Canada and would like to hear more on this
Tom
Old 10-24-2005, 08:30 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

i'll take a look through our inspectors book at work tomorrow. some where i herd that a scoop could not be higher than 4 inches? but im not 100% on that, i'll check to book and get back to ya. What year is it, and will it be antique or regular?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

I'm not trying to be a ********, but if you have $40K+ to spend on a car, can't you afford a couple of tickets?

Also, if you have that money, you're likely older, and the cops aren't giving tickets to middle-aged people driving weekend cruisers, they're giving tickets to people younger than them and people who they catch doing burnouts, etc.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:16 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 c-10

i'll take a look through our inspectors book at work tomorrow. some where i herd that a scoop could not be higher than 4 inches? but im not 100% on that, i'll check to book and get back to ya. What year is it, and will it be antique or regular?
I would imagine that it will be against vehicle code as it will obstruct forward vision. Checking the inspector's book is a good idea. Here in MD, there are State Police Officers assigned just to monitor inspection stations. Maybe call a local barracks and see if you can talk to one or have an inspector talk to one. I am sure it will be in Vehicle Code if you want to sift through all of that.

I too would want to be sure of possible consequences before laying out that kind of money. While most locals may let it go, you know somewheres that there will be a Smokey waiting to tear your butt up. That will mean an inspection ticket most likely and mandatory removal or surrender of tags.

For instance, here in MD if you run NOS, you have to have the car marked for the fire dept.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:28 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwantland
Also, if you have that money, you're likely older, and the cops aren't giving tickets to middle-aged people driving weekend cruisers, they're giving tickets to people younger than them and people who they catch doing burnouts, etc.
Been to Illinois lately? I got a warning ticket and a 20 minute lecture from some "kid" 25 years my junior because he pulled me over for supposedly no brake lights and I proved him wrong. He then proceded to hassle me because I had antique plates and was just out for a drive, not going to or from a show, parade, having it serviced etc. The guy that nailed me for 95+ in a 55 when I was a kid didn't give me that much grief. I'd always had some respect for the Illinois State Police until I ran into that little storm trooper.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:19 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Va is one state I have not resided in, but having lived in two neighboring states, I have some knowledge of their strict DMV laws and enforcement. They are tough on modifications to vehicles, particularly in suspension and exhaust modifications. Window tinting is also strictly enforced along with traffic laws: one state that I will not even test the "5 over" speed limits!! One thing they can not do is enforce their unique laws upon out of state vehicles unless there are reciprocal agreements and, trust me, the troopers I have been exposed to are very knowledgeable of these!! If I were a resident of Va, I would not invest one penny into a vehicle that I planned to drive without having a signed, notarized agreement, from their DMV that I could operate the vehicle legally on their roadways.

Trees
Old 10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Super Sport Freak

This is wild guys. I posted this originally January 2004 and kept checking it for about a month. I figured it was a dead post after that. Anyway, thanks for the posts trees, Hippie, KULTULZ, benwantland, 71 c-10, & henny496.

Lastly, to benwantland, it's not about paying 50 bucks for a ticket. The cops won't just keep writing you tickets. Every ticket goes against your record and after you burn up all your points on your permit then you don't have a driver's permit. That's why the concern, not whether someone can afford the tickets or not.

Hell, the engine I am building will be running 16 lbs. of boost running on $8.00 a gallon racing fuel a $50.00 ticket would'nt bad at all if that's all it was. Thanks for the comment benwantland.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Hey, I'm just glad you didn't take it the wrong way... I got to thinking about it at work today, and that's the kind of thing that can get construed the wrong way on the internet, as nobody has any indications of what the other party really means via this impersonal form of communication.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:03 AM

Last photo:

Blower ht(long story)

Hello
The only things I have come up with as a possible solution would be to
1/mount the motor in the car as low as possible
2/ perhaps use a low hood scoop around the blower to help hide the ht, and
3/ the carb plate and blower scoop ht
All roots blowers are the same ht @ 7.5 inches high. A holley carb is 3.5 inches high. A Hillborn hat is 6-6.5 inches high. The carb to blower plate can be another 2 inches
You can make a custom plate to mount the carbs and have it very low. I am trying one at 3/4 inch, but may have to whittle away at some things to get everything to clear
Instead of using a Hillborn hat, I had thought of putting individual stacks in each barrel, or making a very low velocity stack.
I had put a mechanical injection Enderle bugcather on top, to see how it looked. Although it was lower @ 4.625 inches it was much wider and was still bad for vision
In an EFI system, companies such as BDS use an Enderle bugcather, the openings(butterflies) are either unhooked, so only one works or a plate is put inside to restrict the air( something like that, I think)
You don't need that much air on a street motor. ( mine was 3.7 in openings)I had talked to a couple of different places about helping me out if I made my own hat(low profile). Some companies will , but some want you to buy the whole system.
No matter what, an EFI system is not cheap,and a bugcather is not much better for vision
If I were you I would check to see if you can lower your motor, and even try to mock up something on your motor to determine a ht, This way you can sit in the car and look out the windshield
If it is really high you may be a target, but if it is reasonable enough for ht, it may be an option to look into it further
You still run the problem of bumping into a cop with an attitude on a bad day. A lot of this will depend on your age and how things are in your area
a long winded way of saying....I still am not sure
Tom
Old 10-26-2005, 07:51 AM
aka Duke of URL

Here in MD, HISTORIC tags as well as STREET ROD specialty tags are offered. Maybe if VA offers the same tag (STREET ROD) there may be an exemption to this. Having a 671 is eye candy and having to hide it just causes frustration, similiar to my sex life for the past thirty three years of marriage...

Was it in the early eighties that this was popular street machine add-on (with custom cut hood openings)? CAR (CHEVY) CRAFT ran several articles on street useage.

Didn't SEMA have information at one time as to what is legal and not legal in different states?

I want to know the answer to this also. Even if you ask an Inspection State Trooper, he may say yes or no depending on his/her/mutant mood. I would rather he point me in the direction of the vehicle code.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Super Sport Freak

Hey Benwantland,
No problem, I'm a wrench whore just like everyone else here. We all tend to be pretty laid back anyways. Hell, you gotta have a sense of humor. Most of us are married ( not me, divorced since 2002) and although we wake up next to our wives in the mornings she's not nessassarily the one we love the most.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:50 PM
aka Duke of URL

Give these folks a call. They may have the answer offhand.

-SEMA ACTION NETWORK-

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.