Vise Grip goes to china - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Vise Grip goes to china

Maybe some old news to some. I think the timeline goes, Peterson sold out to Irwin, then Irwin sold it to Newell Rubbermaid which promptly moved manufacturing to China.

I know this is more 'doom and gloom' but it's just not right. It quite frankly makes me sick.

How do we have a voice to directly... "DIRECTLY" stop all this nonsense?

BTW, I was in a 'store' and held a pair of the china-grips in my hand. May as well go buy HF. Vise Grip is now just a moniker. The fit and finish is JUST NOT THERE.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10
BTW, I was in a 'store' and held a pair of the china-grips in my hand. May as well go buy HF. Vise Grip is now just a moniker. The fit and finish is JUST NOT THERE.

Go back a couple years and the ones "assembled in USA of domestic and foregin components" didn't have the fit and finish of my dad's 30-40+ year old set. Time to hit the estate sales and ebay looking for good old tools. I think Craftsman brand hand tools are still made here, at least the wrenches and screwdrivers and pliers set I have. Being a 'hobbyist/tinkerer' they've held up very well.

As for you professional welders (who would use locking pliers frequently) I'm not sure how well they'd hold up- but I'm sure better than chinese crap.

-Matt
Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Oh great! Now the first time I put a pair on tightly it will become sprung and useless just like all the other cheap vise grip knockoffs I have ever bought.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2
Oh great! Now the first time I put a pair on tightly it will become sprung and useless just like all the other cheap vise grip knockoffs I have ever bought.

We should hammer them with emails and stuff and boycott their tools from now on.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
I have between $500 and a thousand dollars in Vice grips, they are the mainstay of the average bodyman. I am so glad I bought them before they went to China because I would have a very hard time buying them now.

Brian
Old 10-13-2009, 12:32 PM

You will be surprised at what you can pick up for next to nothing at garage sales and estate sales. The last Vice grips I bought was 50 cents. Just picked up a used 6 inch proto crecent wrench for a buck. Just start buying the used stuff -- you know whats good and whats bad.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 PM
boatbob2

chinese vice grips..

Hi,i have 4 pairs of vice grips made in China. they really are GARBAGE,i didnt realize they were made in china,or i wouldve never bought them.im very curious,how can someone (China) take a very simple tool,and screw it up? i try to buy american made tools at flea markets also.i have made some great buys there also.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Start looking at estate sales usually hand tools go for a buck each the first coupla days then go to 50% off. No way of telling whats out there but some of the places may have very good buys.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I bought a "Vice-Grip" brand a couple of years ago....it was pretty crappy then....

I look for used ones at garage sales etc now.

Budget RVs
Old 10-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Firewall
Last photo:

I bought 4 vise grips at last year's swap meet in Chickasha. Three were old stock USA and one was from China. To be honest, I can't tell them apart. The Chinese unit was every bit as good as the US units.

As time goes on, the Chinese stuff will get better and better.

That being said, the FairTax will make manufacturing in the US more attractive to companies. It will put more Americans to work. I know you are tired of hearing it. But it is true. And we can do it.

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer
Old 10-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Bought a pair of c-clamp grips recently. They won't lock if opened over a couple inches.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

I think the root of the problem is that the manufacturers that have their manufacturing performed in China, have lowered their quality control criteria, and the specifications on their products. If those two issues were held to high standards, as in the past, then Chinese products would be just as good as products produced in the USA. I believe the blame for this Chinese "crap" lies squarely on the shoulders of the American manufacturers who have outsourced their production lines to China. They've obviously decided that it's OK to market junk, and the Chinese are more than happy to comply.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Yep this was discussed some months ago and it was suggested then to buy your Vise Grips now while you still can. I ordered a nice set from Enco the day I leaned about the China crap and have picked up a couple more from Lowes recently, the USA made ones can still be found on the rack at a lot of stores but they are disappearing fast! Just a couple of days ago I was looking at them at Lowes and most of the USA ones are gone now but they still have a few types and sizes left, the USA made ones are marked clearly on the paper card they are attached to. I can tell a big difference in the ones I compared side by side, they have that odd rough chrome finish that is found on most China pliers and the pressed areas are not as nearly crisp. Since I have not used the China specials I have no way of knowing (yet) but I would almost bet the teeth in the jaws will strip out as easily as most China pliers and it might be interesting to see what happens when you really clamp down on them, we will soon know. If you want the USA made ones you better hurry they are going fast!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The fault lies with the people who buy it. (crap made in China)
Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy48
I think the root of the problem is that the manufacturers that have their manufacturing performed in China, have lowered their quality control criteria, and the specifications on their products. If those two issues were held to high standards, as in the past, then Chinese products would be just as good as products produced in the USA. I believe the blame for this Chinese "crap" lies squarely on the shoulders of the American manufacturers who have outsourced their production lines to China. They've obviously decided that it's OK to market junk, and the Chinese are more than happy to comply.
This is exactly what is happening. Manufacturers have to hold them to higher standards to produce a good product. Some of you may disagree with me on this but the Chinese are not well trained or hold alot of knowledge. I know a manufacturer in Alabama that outsources his work to China and he told me that he has to make a trip over there about every 2 months to make sure they are not "short changing" him because they will if they have the chance. The Chinese do not have the same materials as we use in the US. At my job, we use quite a little bit of 1045 steel which is not available in China. To get a good product from the Chinese, you have to supply them with quality materials and quality control or you will get junk.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.