volare clip not square - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 03:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

volare clip not square

Hello all,

I'm new here and I need some advice. I recently purchase a project someone got tired of (55 Ford pickup) so I thought I would take over because the price was right. I decided I would take some measurement of the frame because it had a volare clip that I did not install and noticed the wheelbase is off 1/4 on one side. I dont think that would be a problem but I decide to do a cross measure to see if it was setting in the center of the frame and that was off 5/8 now I thought this could be a problem. Any experts out there? What do you think I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You know what they say...."Measure twice, cut once"

In the case of a clip, It should be....."Measure 100 times, cut once"

You may be able to get around this at the alignment shop, but it would have been better to have been square to start with. Guess that's why the price was right.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:51 PM

Price was still right only 500 bucks (wife wanted it gone). The guy is a buddy of mine and told me to give him 5 hundred because the truck was all over the garage.lol He went out and brought a finish truck. The body is rust free and primed. I could always put in a GM clip or find another frame. I wanted to know if I could still use that clip or go with something else. The cab alone was worth the purchase. I did not install the clip, but I wish I had I would not have this problem.

Last edited by bruhman34; 10-29-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

I have a 1980 Chrysler K-member on a Custom made rectangular frame section that I installed on a 1953 Ford sedan frame. (a couple pics in the back of my gallery). I got mine suqared to 1/8" front to back and 3/16" cross corner. At the time I didn't think it was good enough but when I talked to my alighment man he told me that I had it very close and that he could deal with a quite a bit more than that. Before you worry to much about it I would have an established shop with a good repitation take a look at it. A much more serious problem is if the frame is twisted from being welded on. That would result in taking the truck apart and having the frame streightened on a frame table and cost a lot more. Good luck I hope it all works out for you, the Chrysler torsion bar front ends are a very good way to go on a rod.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:23 PM

Pony,

Thanks for your reply, thats the kind of info I was looking for. I was all set to chop the frame and go with a GM clip. If a anlignment can save me the hassle of a redo I welcome it. Like I side I was not worried about the wheelbase (1\4 measurement) much. I was worried about the diagonal one (5/8 measurement). Anything above an 1/2 inch makes me worry. The install looks nice too its cleaned up well, and I did not want to have to redo it. Thanks for your replay.

Anybody else out there have an opinion. Its welcome. The truck is apart so if I got to fix this I would rather do it now.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-29-2004, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

The 5/8" mesurement is a triangulated result of the 1/4" base mesurement. My k-member is attached to the frame at four points with split rubber mounting pads, a thru bushing and 5/8" bolt/flat washed arangement. Does yours look the same? If you can't fix it with an alignment. The attach points on the frame have aprox. 1 1/2" holes that a step on the male pad fits in. These holes on the bad side of the frame could be relocated 1/4" (slot & plug) to fix the problem. less work than a complete rework.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 PM

My frame is notch at the bottom and the clip is welded in. The contours of the clip was cut in the frame and then welded in. The truck is not together so an anlignment is not gonna happen. I don't want to put the truck back together only to find this can't be fixed later. Its easier to do it now if I have to. I guess my question should have been: Will the difference in these measurement gonna affect the handling of this truck. If so I could find another frame and go with a MII or install a GM Clip on this one.

Last edited by bruhman34; 10-29-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:28 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Look at it this way: If, unbeknownst to you, your left front wheel had been magically moved one inch in any direction as you slept, do you really think you could tell the difference?

Perhaps Rusty Wallace could. Perhaps.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:20 AM

Well Guys,

I done some measuring on the frame (no the clip this time) and it seem the frame is bent a inch an and half to the right. I found a new frame for 100 bucks so I purchased it. I measured this new frame an it is perfect. So now I think I'm just gonna get an after market kit. I open to suggention as to which IFS package to purchase.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

I just downloaded a page out of my RB's Obsolete Automotive catalog into my gallery. Take a peek this might be a good way to go. A lot of people use MII set ups but they seem a little light weight for a truck.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:15 PM

Pony,

I'm really thinking about the dakota crossmember kit. I have a friend that just got his and I went over to take a look at it and it is nice. I mean that thing is a work of art. I just got to check into it a little more things like what year doners to look for things like that.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.