Hot Rod Forum banner

Voltage regulator

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Hotrod_Ford 
#1 ·
Hi All.
This is the current wiring arrangement on my '40 Deluxe. I would like to know whether this looks correct. I have a few concerns. The brown wire from 'I' on the voltage regulator goes to the ignition but where do I connect it. Is the ignition supplying 12v to the voltage regulator or is this suppose to be the regulated 12v to the ignition because I already have a direct 12v from the battery/alternator to the ignition B terminal (Orange).
What is the function of the Field and Aux on the alternator. Normally when you have an internal voltatge regulator you only have (what I would think) is the Aux in this case (the supply from the ignition through the lamp to excite the alternator and when the alternator turns this lamp dies and the alternator supplies the voltage to charge the battery.
Can anyone clarify the setup for me please?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
more info please

The '40 Ford was 6 volt and had a generator.
To increase the chances of a good responce, it would be helpful if the engine year and brand were known.

The diagram looks wrong.

Generally an alternator system will have the following.

-The 'B' wire or large red wire from the alternator is the power wire directly to the battery. It may go to the starter solenoid on the battery side (stud).

-The 'I' wire or sensing wire from the ignition switch ON position to the voltage regulator. This provides the regulator with a reference voltage that is used to control the field current of the alternator.

-Sometimes another wire is run from the regualtor to an idiot light in the instrument panel.

-This is basis for charging systems. GM for example uses an internal voltage regulator but the idea is the same.

vicrod

#3 ·
Thank you. I have an 8BA flathead. The car was converted to n 12v system by previous owners. I'm planning to replace the solenoid. It started smoking last night when i tried to start it with the ignition. It starts better if I short the solenoid with a screwdriver. Could you maybe elaborate on the dummy light you mentioned. Does it come from the field to a ground? If I can find a later model alternator I will definitely replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.