Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - voltage to tail lights vs brake lights?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratt134
So you are saying different bulbs are brighter than other bulbs? One of them broke so I have to get a new one... so I will just get 4 new ones since they are so old. Am I looking for something in particular?

thanks,
Sean
Doc here,

Different FILAMENTS within the SAME bulb are brighter than others..

If yours is the traditional, Brake/Turn on one filament, and tails on the other, I believe the lamp you are looking for is an 1157..or equiv.

You see the one filament has LESS resistance (brighter) than the other (dimmer) Within the same bulb. If you look carefully through the glass, you'll see TWO coils of wire Not one..One is Brake/turn on a shared filament (Brighter) and tails on the other (dimmer) .

If the sockets had only ONE pad inside the socket, and you looked through the glass you'd see only ONE coil of wire..This is a single element Bulb..used traditionally for front turn, clearance lamps, back up lamps..and the like. BTW..ther ARE NOT interchangeable.(even if the bulb fits in the socket, you'll short out two isolated circuits and cause all kinds of problems.

As Far as the bulbs , Identification of the type, If it isn't too old and corroded, can be found on the Copper base EXAMPLE: 1157...If you get corn~Fused just tell the auto part guy what the bulb does..they'll know. (usually)

Doc